Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Dome. Pup. Teepee. A-Frame. Two-Person. Pop-Up.

Dome. Pup. Teepee. A-Frame. Two-Person. Pop-Up.

For those of you who have done it, which types or kinds of tents have you ever slept in during your lifetime? Your answer need not be restricted merely to the few examples I show above; any type of tent may be named.
~

Posted - November 23, 2020

Responses

A-Frame and pup as a Boy Scout. An improvised shelter using tarpaulins and the side of a Kombi van in my late teens, and dome just over a month ago.
      November 23, 2020 2:12 PM MST

I had someone ask me if I wanted to see his fort.  Does that count?    ;    ) This post was edited by . at November 23, 2020 3:56 PM MST
      November 23, 2020 3:13 PM MST

Hey, wait . . . 

~

November 23, 2020 3:19 PM MST

Sound familiar?  I never forget an invitation from Randall. 
      November 23, 2020 3:20 PM MST

Ahhh, I remember it well. Cold weather, only one sleeping bag, combined body heat was the best way to spend the night, big smiles the next morning . . .  
    ~

November 23, 2020 9:27 PM MST

Pop-up (out camping)
    Pup (sleeping in the yard) This post was edited by Shuhak at November 23, 2020 9:17 PM MST
      November 23, 2020 4:24 PM MST

A  variety, starting with large canvas ridge-tents while in the Scouts.

A canvas inflatable-frame tent.

It was of canvas supported by 4 rubber tubes inflated by a tyre-pump to give something of a pyramid shape with a 6 feet square base. Over time it stretched and the shape looked as if inspired by a Terry's "Chocolate Orange". I had to scrap it after an accidental spill of old engine-oil created a patch that would never again be waterproof as it impregnated the cotton fibres, preventing their sealing action.

Assorted small ridge tents.

My last, which I still have, will just accommodate 2 at a pinch, and has a fair-sized porch in which it is just possible to cook with the greatest of care, in bad weather. It is pitched outer-first, a big plus for a back-packing tent. Nice and cosy in rough weather.

A neat little dome-tent with good-sized porch whose side panel windows would allow me, as a friend said, to "watch the rain siling down!"
    This failed after only a fortnight in service, by UV degradation. It had been half-price as an ex-demonstration tent, erected for a protracted time on the dealer's yard of white concrete and gravel. They refunded me but I ought really have asked for a new replacement and paid the difference.

====

A modest frame-tent, given to me by a friend. I followed another friend's suggestion that I leave the inner at home and use my back-packing tent erected separately, inside it for the bedroom, as it would be a lot warmer. It did fit, leaving enough changing and cooking-space. He was right. It ended when a gust of wind caught it when I was dismantling it, and broke frame parts no longer made.

===

My "mountain tent", which would sleep two though I've only ever used it solo, is a Terra Nova of cross-dome pattern. I can't recall its model-name offhand, it has given me good service walking in the hills of Norway's interior. Its only drawback is having to pitch it inner first, and take down outer first - not so good for a tent designed to be useable in bad weather. Less serious, all tents of that form
    have long sloping door-panels so reaching for the zip from inside, usually involves lying under a porch roof dripping with condensation.

====

Keeping the Terra Nova and the ridge-tent company up in the loft (dry and out of sunlight) is a dome-tent with extended porch of standing-height over most of its area. I forget its make (Saunders?) and model, hopefully only because I have had no reason or opportunity to use any tent this year! It is ideal for longer stays at locations accessible by car or tractor-&-trailer, but takes a while to pitch especially if without help, and like all large tents can be cold at night even inside the "bedroom".

===

I've never used a "pop-up" tent but a friend who tried one for 2 nights in the benign surroundings of a university sports-ground in an English Midlands Autumn, was very happy with it. (The event was a conference held over a weekend.)

Another friend who had used a back-packing tent for years finally succumbed and bought a frame-tent. He printed a joke house-name plaque for it, in self-adhesive plastic, and put it on the tent's large front window. It read in cod-Gaelic, Duneelin.
      November 29, 2020 6:11 AM MST

~

November 29, 2020 2:31 PM MST

Thank you!
      November 29, 2020 2:54 PM MST