Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » I know very little about YouTube, and I do NOT access it daily like some people do. Today, I wanted to view a song, so I entered its title

I know very little about YouTube, and I do NOT access it daily like some people do. Today, I wanted to view a song, so I entered its title

and artist as keyword searches, I received the folllowing (not verbatim):

YouTube does not allow you to watch videos anonymously. Google will track your presence here and use that data for its purposes. 

I immediately closed that window and abandoned my interest in the music that I had planned to pull up.

Questions:
Have any of you seen this warning also?
Is this a new thing?

~

Posted - December 1, 2020

Responses

I haven't seen that warning, but I have been asked to sign in.  Since I don't have a YouTube account, and have lived for 75 years without one, I declined.
      December 1, 2020 2:25 PM MST

Smart cookie. 

December 1, 2020 3:45 PM MST

I have not seen that warning yet. 
      December 1, 2020 3:11 PM MST

Thank you. 

December 1, 2020 3:45 PM MST

No I have not. 
    I do believe CA enacted to website tracking content laws recently which may explain why you got the warning. 

I do not have a Youtube or a Google account but it knows what I looked at last.   
      December 1, 2020 5:28 PM MST

Thank you, that makes perfect sense, and it explains why here in California it is most likely happening.
    ~

December 1, 2020 7:53 PM MST

I have never seen that warning, and YouTube is not like engineering physics to use.
      December 1, 2020 8:49 PM MST

Thank you. 

December 3, 2020 7:10 AM MST

I have never seen that.
    I do have content on you tube
    so maybe that is why.
      December 1, 2020 9:42 PM MST

Thank you. 

December 3, 2020 7:10 AM MST

I've never seen that message,
    but that might be because I don't have the same kind of security settings in my system.

However, I assume that any search that allows "free" access to information, social sites, TED talks, journals, or news will be monitored by Google and it will record anything that might help them accurately target me with ads.

Since I range broadly it has little chance of success.
      December 2, 2020 6:23 PM MST

Thank you. 

December 3, 2020 7:11 AM MST

I've  not seen that but I have  noticed Google and You Tube now hide behind a wall of options intended to bend you to their will. Until quite recently both sites were easy to use, but I have pretty much abandoned them now.

If I need read a company web-site whose address is not known to me, I let Google show me the address, where it peeps out deeply-greyed from behind the filters etc., note it, then close Goggles and go straight to the site.  
      December 20, 2020 10:20 AM MST