Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Education » I wonder; is my affinity for mathematics to a math whiz what some people’s affinity for English grammar is to me?

I wonder; is my affinity for mathematics to a math whiz what some people’s affinity for English grammar is to me?

Some people “just don’t get” English grammar. To me, however, it comes quite easily. Conversely, I’m only functionally efficient in the basics of mathematics, the deeper intricacies* of it escape me, I “just don’t get” them. Is the comparison of the disciplines and how they manifest themselves in me and in others some type of allegory or symbolization?

*Algebra
Advanced Geometry 
Calculus
Trigonometry
Etc.

~

Posted - January 18, 2021

Responses

I guess I am fortunate...I 'get' both. There are lots of things I don't...like 90% of the 'Jeopardy' categories.
      January 18, 2021 3:39 PM MST

I “get” about 60% to 75% of “Jeopardy!” categories. 

~

January 18, 2021 5:34 PM MST

Species of weasels...16th century biblical scholars...famous Turkish Jews?  Gimme a break.
      January 18, 2021 8:00 PM MST

That’s why I didn’t claim 100% nor even more than 75%.

~

January 18, 2021 8:15 PM MST

Dang that be a lot of fancy words - English grannies, alligators, converts, inner cities, man-feasts....  Y' know, it'd been a whole lot easier if you just said - "y'all think I'm as weird as that there other guy?".   
      January 18, 2021 4:10 PM MST

LOL, yer dern tootin’!

January 18, 2021 5:28 PM MST

I am like that - I have always found words far easier than maths!

I don't, by the way, see how Algebra, Geometry, Calculus etc. can be treated as different disciplines. I have always been taught them and seen them as different parts of the single discipline called Mathematics; and there are many connections between them.

Indeed, little of any of them can be carried out without algebra; trigonometry depends on geometry and algebra, and so on.

After all, if you study Physics, then optics, electricity & magnetism and theoretical mechanics are still all Physics. This post was edited by Durdle at February 6, 2021 6:17 PM MST
      February 6, 2021 3:23 PM MST

Banana, banana, banana, banana.

~
      February 6, 2021 6:17 PM MST