Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Language » Have you ever heard the word “vittles” used to refer to food, or have you ever used it yourself?

Have you ever heard the word “vittles” used to refer to food, or have you ever used it yourself?

Inspired by this question that was posted by another member:  

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/127310/do-you-say-supper-or-dinner-is-there-a-difference-by-the-w/view/post_id/892408/page/1

My grandmother used it all the time, and I heard it in the old movies that came out when she was young. My grandmother was born in the 1920s in a tiny town of 900 people in Oklahoma and due to migrant farming, grew up in various places all over the country.

I‘m not sure if she only used the word in jest, or if she used it as her legitimate and appropriate way to talk about food (she passed away in 1989).  I do remember that she used a lot of words that I understood to be from her country upbringing or Southern upbringing, for instance, she never once used the word “faucet”, she always, always, always said “hydrant”.  Lol, I remember being five years old and when we went to her house, she would offer us a drink of water, and she’d ask, “Would you like it cold from the ice box or is from the kitchen hydrant good enough?”  There’s another one: ice box. She never said refrigerator or fridge, always ice box. The garden hose was connected to the outside hydrant, you had two hydrants in the bathroom (powder room), one at the sink and one at the bathtub. 

Wow, what great memories just came flooding back. (Sigh.)

~

Posted - May 7, 2021

Responses

Nope.  I never heard anyone say it  IRL either.  Just on The Beverly Hillbillies. 
      May 7, 2021 8:29 AM MDT

I have heard it, but I think the correct word is "victuals."
      May 7, 2021 11:22 AM MDT

Beat me too it. I have, but many years ago.
      May 7, 2021 11:37 AM MDT

Thank you. Is the letter c silent?

Prior to posting the question, I looked up the word vittles (vittle) and found it to be a variant spelling of victuals in at least one reference book. I believe it might be a slang variation. The way my grandmother said it was the way I put it in the post.
    ~

May 7, 2021 2:30 PM MDT

According to Merriam-Webster, vittles is "now chiefly used playfully to evoke the supposed language of cowboys."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vittles
      May 7, 2021 3:27 PM MDT

Yes, that seems about the way that my grandmother would have used it. Thank you!

~

May 7, 2021 3:34 PM MDT

Of course.  It's what Granny cooked up nightly for the Beverly Hillbillies. I've heard it often but don't remember ever uttering the word, myself.
      May 7, 2021 5:35 PM MDT

Like Thrifty, I have heard it used IRL and I don't believe I've ever used it. 

I've heard 'hydrant' used for faucet and also heard 'ice box' used for fridge/freezer. 

May 7, 2021 6:43 PM MDT

Iceboxes were what we had before electric refrigerators.  When I was a kid some still had iceboxes and it was a blast when the ice truck came and delivered great big chunks of ice to go into people's iceboxes.  He would throw small pieces out of the back of the truck for us kids.  That was when I was  fours years old or younger. We had a refrigerator in my house as long as I can remember.  When my aunt moved in with us she brought hers, so we had two.  Thanks goodness for those large kitchens in houses built in the craftsman era.
      May 8, 2021 4:29 PM MDT

I've never heard hydrant used for anything other than a fire hydrant. 
      May 8, 2021 4:31 PM MDT