Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Are you thankful for Flannery O'Connor?

Are you thankful for Flannery O'Connor?

I am.

To me, she NAILS the human condition and portrays, incredibly accurately, the strengths and weaknesses of us humans.

:)

The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor

Posted - November 25, 2021

Responses

• I haven't read any of her works yet, but they're on my to-read list. I watched an American Masters episode about her and I was fascinated. 
      November 26, 2021 11:04 AM MST

If you happen to read any of her works, feel free to let me know what you think/thought!

The first work I read of hers was her short story "Good Country People." It remains breathtaking for me. And its first sentence remains incredibly superb and memorable to me:

"Besides the neutral expression that she wore when she was alone, Mrs. Freeman had two others, forward and reverse, that she used for all her human dealings."

I also enjoyed reading Brad Gooch's biography of O'Connor, "Flannery: A Life of Flannery O'Connor." I even wrote to Gooch and thanked him, telling him that he had done the impossible - - he helped me to be even more interested, fascinated and impressed in/with her. Gooch wrote a wonderful biography! If you were fascinated with the American Masters episode, I bet you'd enjoy Gooch's book, too.

Thanks for answering my question Nevan B.  :)

Flannery: A Life of Flannery O'Connor by Brad Gooch

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 26, 2021 10:16 PM MST
      November 26, 2021 7:40 PM MST