Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Does the term "political correctness" have multiple meanings?

Does the term "political correctness" have multiple meanings?

I ask this because I used to be on another opinion site... And I was often flagged and reported for foul language and dark/inappropriate humor. The majority of those people complaining were conservatives who claimed they were "anti PC". Though they want to monitor my language... Seems like the term has a broader meaning than I though.

Posted - October 2, 2016

Responses

Language and inappropriate humor have nothing to do with being PC. Those things involve manners and politeness... knowing how to behave in a mixed environment. Not being PC relates to not following the common ideologies. 

That's my take on it. If you can express an unpopular opinion without being an a-hole or crass, you're welcomed to it. If you can't do it without using 4-letter words or attacking others, you'll get called on it here, too.
      October 2, 2016 12:28 AM MDT

I suppose we can agree to disagree on that one. If not being PC relates not following the common ideologies wouldn't someone being vulgar go against the common ideology that you're not supposed to talk like that? I think there's a difference between being vulgar and being vile. Though I'm not trying to debate you. You're entitled to your opinions of course.
      October 2, 2016 12:41 AM MDT

Is dropping f-bombs in the presence of kids or your grandma ok, in your opinion? I think most people in polite society would agree that it's not. It's offensive and rude.  Now, let's say that you think it's dumb that some places are moving away from the word "man" in certain phrases... congressman becomes congressperson, garbageman becomes sanitation worker, etc... The latter is PC. The former is manners.
      October 2, 2016 12:50 AM MDT

Around kids, no... I personally wouldn't drop one in front of my grandmother just because it would feel awkward. Though there are elderly people out there who have worse mouths than I do. As far as your second argument goes, I can understand that.
      October 2, 2016 12:56 AM MDT

The point, though (and I'm on your side about this) is that while you may have the moral clarity/maturity and sense of decorum to avoid certain words/phrases, others do not.

But make no mistake. It's a double-edged sword; the person doing the censoring robs the person censored (as well as all relevant parties to the conversation) of the chance to do their own 'police work.'
      October 2, 2016 1:11 AM MDT

• You make a strong point, but I know where Yank is coming from.
    There is that large segment who complains about being pushed to use PC language.  That they shouldn't have to censor themselves and thoughts because it may offend someone. In that same breath though they will get angry and offended because someone used the "wrong" word for copulation.  It is a tad hypocritical of them based on their argument against the push for PC language.
    They complain about language policing, but then try and police someones language.  It's cherry picking.
      October 2, 2016 8:46 AM MDT

I really wish I could concur.  I understand that a private site owner has every right to censor speech as s/he sees fit, but I also know that a policy of doing so sets A against B and forces one person or group (as mods, for instance) to play policeman for everyone else.  That opens up a Pandora's box of differing interpretations insofar as what constitutes 'disallowed' speech.  It also ensures that no one working within such a system will ever develop the requisite maturity to police themselves and/or to censor their own content.

October 2, 2016 1:08 AM MDT

That's why the mods have a special group to log things that get removed, so we're removing things equally. We all read what's getting removed and act in unison or speak up if we think it shouldn't be removed. 

And, most people do censor themselves when they realize we have language rules. That's one of the reasons we talk to members and don't use an automated system or yank content without saying why. Most people are content to follow the policies, as long as they know they're there. If you look at the blogs right now, you'll see a couple of people who didn't and chose to leave. C'est la vie. 

Personally, I have the mouth of a sailor. I keep it in check on the site and around my kids a solid 97.3% of the time. I only moderate language because members asked for it.  *shrugs* If I need to blow off steam, I go into free-for-all and curse at the walls. 

October 2, 2016 1:17 AM MDT

In your defense that's one really good feature of this site.  You have special 'spaces' for people to speak as they wish...eh, within normal legal constraints, of course. :-)
      October 2, 2016 1:58 AM MDT

Ayup.  Most terms in common (vulgar) usage do have multiple meanings, and even then, as you've aptly noted, the meanings are applied inconsistently.  They all have one thing in common, however: they're all intended to regulate/stifle free speech/expression.

There's that which must not be said because it'll get you kicked off a website (or off the Internet)
    There's that which must not be said if one wishes to maintain his/her career
    There's that which must not be said without risk to one's personal freedom, and
    There's that which must not be said without risk of ending one's...well...everything.

All fall under the general rubric of political correctness.  It's a lexicon which each of us must know even if, or perhaps especially because, we've no intention of abiding by society's rules of 'proper' speech/expression.  Irony of all ironies, to prohibit a form of speech/expression is to fix the individual's mind on that very form of speech.  As ever, free speech is anything but free. This post was edited by Transquesta at October 2, 2016 1:04 AM MDT
      October 2, 2016 1:01 AM MDT

• In reality it is pretty much the same thing Yank.   People will make minor differentiations between the two to justify but the fact remains both are just trying to protect someone getting upset and offended by another's words.  It's different aspects to the same behaviour and methodology.
      April 22, 2017 5:52 PM MDT