Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Swoop62
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What happens if we have a tied election like we did in 2000, wIth a 4/4 Supreme Court, who is gonna decide who won?

What happens if we have a tied election like we did in 2000, wIth a 4/4 Supreme Court, who is gonna decide who won?

Posted - October 4, 2016

Responses

• IDK but it would be so freaking awesome.  I honestly hope it happens.
      October 4, 2016 10:08 AM MDT

In the event of a tie, the House of Representives is supposed to vote for President....say Hello Pres Trump.

The 2000 election was not a tie, it was a disputed result of a particular state.  But I would think that is the SCOTUS comes out a tie---then we would go to the House or go with the poplar vote....
      October 4, 2016 10:25 AM MDT

Time to move to Canada!
      October 4, 2016 1:16 PM MDT

In the event that neither candidate receives the majority of the 538 electoral votes (270), then the House of Representatives will vote, with each state delegation receiving one (1) vote.  The Senate would elect the Vice-President, with each Senator having one vote.

The Electoral College meets in December, but it isn't until January 6, 2017, when Congress meets in a joint session to count those votes. Since the newly elected congress is sworn in on January 3, 2017, it will be that Congress that will make the vote.
      October 6, 2016 7:33 AM MDT

Hello again, S:

I suggest that WOULD be true, if neither of the candidates SUED in court, like what happened in 2000.  Then the COURT decided.  Why would it be different now?

excon This post was edited by excon at October 6, 2016 7:40 AM MDT
      October 6, 2016 7:39 AM MDT

The whole 2000 legal mess was due to those horrible hanging chads and counting absentee ballots in Florida. Does any voting district still use those punch card ballots? I hope not. If it's a 'tie' I suspect there will be 'recounts' and very possibly law suits. The biggest problem I see is that a number of voting districts have NO paper back-up of votes "electronically" cast.

IF these suits end up before SCOTUS, and they are tied 4-4, would the lower court ruling stand?

All I can say is I HOPE this doesn't happen as it will divide this country even more than it already has.

October 6, 2016 8:11 AM MDT

• According to the conspiracy theory videos I love to watch on YouTube,  that's exactly what's going to happen.  Then Obama is going to close congress and declare martial law on all of us.  I love those videos... They make me laugh. 
      October 6, 2016 8:02 AM MDT

Hello Karen:

There's certainly a possibility for it to happen.  Like the last time, one of the candidates will SUE..  The appellate court of the judicial circuit they file in will DECIDE who the next prez will be..

excon
      October 6, 2016 8:08 AM MDT

• I can see that happening with this election.  The conspericy theorists have been "warning" about martial law for the past several decades.  The videos are very entertaining.  Instead of making me scared,  they make me laugh. 
      October 6, 2016 8:14 AM MDT

• The Illegal Immigrants and Syrian Refugees get to decide.
      October 6, 2016 8:04 AM MDT