Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Are sporks sterile?

Are sporks sterile?

The baby in the photo is actually a foon, not a spork.  What about foons?  Are they able to reproduce?

Posted - October 6, 2016

Responses

• No that's a spork.   Offspring of a female spoon and male fork are sporks.   Offspring male spoon and female forks are foons.  The DNA sequence of the two species is to different to produce reliably fertile offspring.  Occasionally a fertile spork or foon  will be born but it's exceedingly rare.
      October 6, 2016 5:11 AM MDT

OK, I know it's like 6:20 in the morning where I live and this is the quality of question I think up this time of day so I had to look it up and read it a few times and look at the picture a few more times.

In non-scientific use, the usual convention is a "portmanteau word" comprising first part of male parent's name then second part of female parent's name (occasionally first part of male parent's name then first part of the female's name). Complex hybrids use the first part of the male parent's name followed by the original hybrid name.  Source: http://messybeast.com/genetics/hybrid-names.htm

So, I'm pretty sure that's a baby foon and not a baby spork.
      October 6, 2016 5:24 AM MDT

• I need more coffee. 

That still begs question. What the hell is a dali then and when did it have sex with a llama?
      October 6, 2016 5:53 AM MDT

Yes you do need more coffee!  Muggy wants you to drink up!
      October 6, 2016 6:20 AM MDT