Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you think my friend from Colombia can get discriminative if she moved to the USA?

Do you think my friend from Colombia can get discriminative if she moved to the USA?

Yes she was born in Colombia & raise there. But she is as white as me. But her English isn't the best she still has a accent. But do you think she could be treated differently than someone born in the USA? Like I want her to be treated the same as someone born in the USA.

Posted - July 1, 2016

Responses

She can get whatever she asks to get.

July 1, 2016 6:40 PM MDT

You repeatedly refer to yourself as "whiter" than (insert any nationality here).  What you have is light skin. You aren't "white" no matter how light your skin tone is.   If your friend comes here I would expect her to experience discrimination perhaps similar to what you've experienced.  After all, you've lived here, I would suspect you, too, have an accent and your English isn't the best either.  Lighter skin tone doesn't mean you'll "fly under the radar" with respect to discrimination. 

July 1, 2016 7:58 PM MDT

•   July 1, 2016 8:23 PM MDT

• Was she discriminative in Colombia?

July 1, 2016 8:24 PM MDT

it makes no difference whether she can speak English well or not......MANY MANY foreigners who don't speak the language well do OK here in the states...........so don't worry about her...as long as she's willing to work and not be on welfare, she'll do fine!!!!!!!!

July 2, 2016 9:17 AM MDT

wow sure sound hateful, to say the least!!...and why should his friend experience discrimination? any more than any other person from another country????????

July 2, 2016 9:18 AM MDT

i would hope not

July 2, 2016 7:32 PM MDT

ben, I sound hateful to you? I'd suggest getting your hearing checked.

Why do I think his friend would experience discrimination? Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but people of color DO experience discrimination. Do I like it, hell no. But pretending it doesn't exist is naive, so you'd best pull your head out of ___ ____.*

If you re-read my comment, at no point did I say she would experience any more discrimination than someone else from another country. You made that up all on your little self, so don't try putting words in my mouth.

*the sand
    (Just in case you made ANOTHER assumption)
      July 2, 2016 10:29 PM MDT

She isn't black she is as white as me. Even she has freckles even Colombians can be white as well. Colombia is very diverse country!
      July 3, 2016 6:53 AM MDT

She is a white Colombian with lots of freckles & light brown hair
      July 3, 2016 6:54 AM MDT

Mario, I didn't say she was black
      July 3, 2016 7:53 AM MDT

Who said anything about black Mario
      July 3, 2016 7:54 AM MDT

I thought you were calling her black she is t back. You were talking about you!
      July 3, 2016 7:57 AM MDT

Yo, Mario, does ANYTHING sink in, anything at all? That's a rhetorical question.
      July 3, 2016 7:57 AM MDT

No, I'm not black, Mario
      July 3, 2016 8:01 AM MDT

Well do I look black or white?
      July 3, 2016 8:09 AM MDT