Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Why has my old transistor radio after initially not working with the batteries in and on the on position start and stop twice already?

Why has my old transistor radio after initially not working with the batteries in and on the on position start and stop twice already?

All of a sudden after an hour it started and stopped and start again? I'm listening to a tune out of the blue twice after nothing.

Posted - September 19, 2023

Responses

Sounds like a problem with the battery - you should test it by sticking your tongue on the positive and negative posts on the battery. Just kidding don't do that. The only thing I can think of is maybe the problem is the channel is drifting in and out. Cheers! 
      September 19, 2023 6:38 PM MDT

Wow.  Such an adventure.
      September 20, 2023 8:22 PM MDT

A miss adventure ya.
      October 18, 2023 4:02 PM MDT

Most likely a poor contact, perhaps by corrosion.

If the radio is completely silent suspect the battery contacts first.

If touching the one-off switch in the 'on' position produces intermittent action or crackling noises, the fault is probably within the switch.

Also, if the volume-control and on/off switch is combined (a common feature), there may be a wear spot on the volume-control's internal track. I have a radio that behaves in this way.

Tuning drift won't have the effect of the radio seeming off when it's on. It will still produce some sound "between" stations. This post was edited by Durdle at January 19, 2024 2:13 PM MST
      January 19, 2024 12:48 PM MST