Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » Do you think Governor Kristi Noem is a good Grandma?

Do you think Governor Kristi Noem is a good Grandma?

At a NRA-ILA Leadership Forum Governor Kristi Noem revealed that her granddaughter who is almost 2 owns a shotgun and a rifle. Then for the human touch she added that she also has a pony named Sparkles. Right now I'm hoping for some school art from the Grandkids - but if  it's drawings of them holding guns I won't hang it on the fridge and I  will be having a talk with the son. Cheers!

Posted - September 20, 2023

Responses

Doesn't every two-year old need a gun?  What's wrong with you?
      September 20, 2023 3:45 PM MDT

Sure every 2 year old needs a gun but they should only get one if they keep their room clean. I am finding it hard to believe that the kid has a pony named Sparkles - kids with guns name their pony's Colt 45  or AK 47. Cheers!
      September 20, 2023 4:09 PM MDT

She’s my elected official so I guess I’m the most qualified person here to answer this.  You shouldn’t have gotten me started on this, Nanoose.  First I’ll start with the disclaimers; I voted for her opponent in the last Republican primary and I voted for someone else in the last general election so needless to say, she doesn’t enthuse me a whole lot.  It’s not about her parenting skills or her grand-parenting skills either.  I haven’t been paying attention to that.

My biggest beef with her was her stance on industrial hemp, which was made legal under the 2018 Farm Bill but wasn’t legalized until much later in South Dakota.  She vetoed the original bill to allow growing industrial hemp in South Dakota which IMO was totally unreasonable.  We do have an industrial hemp program now but I think there are limits on it.

I personally don’t care about recreational marijuana that much because aside from trying some pot brownies while in Colorado, I’m just not into pot.  However, the governor overturned voter-approved legal recreational marijuana by directing the sheriff of Pennington County to challenge the amendment in court, thereby getting it overturned.  I found that particularly irksome which is why I voted against her in the last primary and general election.  The reason why I supported that amendment, which I thought was poorly written, is because our penalties for marijuana are unreasonable and over-the-top.  The punishments don’t fit the crime, which I really don’t think it should be a crime anyway.

The other thing that annoys me is her technical honesty.  She technically tells the truth.  She was really good at that after the COVID-19 pandemic.  She didn’t have the authority to enforce lockdowns or shutdowns during the pandemic without approval from the state legislature, which she didn’t get.  They told her no.  She then found it politically advantageous to run around the country telling everybody else she didn’t impose lockdowns.  That’s technically true, but the whole story is that she really wanted to have that power.  She also liked saying that she kept the state open during the pandemic which really is simply just revisionist history.  We still had shutdowns of businesses that were considered non-essential just like the rest of the country. This post was edited by Livvie at September 20, 2023 8:27 PM MDT
      September 20, 2023 3:54 PM MDT

Industrial hemp couldn't get a fly high but it is a fast growing renewable resource so it's crazy not to use it. Recreational marijuana can pull in lots of tax dollars so it is also crazy not to sell it.

This is a little off topic but I am the guy that gave Muhammad Ali the rope a dope idea and also the I am the greatest idea. He was helping me clean out a storage room in Madison Square Garden and we came across some ring rope that was made from hemp. I said hey look at this - rope a dope and he said - hey kid  I like the sound of that can I use it. And I said - sure you can Ali you are the greatest. That night Howard Cosell was interviewing Ali before his match and he said - Muhammad  do you have a strategy for tonight's fight and Ali said - sure I do Howard first I am going to rope the dope then I am going to knock him out in the first round because I am the greatest. Cheers!

September 20, 2023 4:57 PM MDT

Nanoose. Successfully twisted.
      September 20, 2023 7:33 PM MDT

Thank you, I have never heard this about her. Do you have a link to any article saying she attempted or asked legislators to let her shutdown the state.  There are several rumors that Trump is looking for her as VP. 

Our state did not shutdown. But different local officials did shut businesses down. Their actions are not my Governor's fault. This post was edited by my2cents at September 21, 2023 4:39 AM MDT
      September 20, 2023 7:37 PM MDT

I don't care about any politicians personal life unless it affects policy. 

Nothing wrong with buying something for your grandkids even if they are not ready to use it. Main thing is to be safe with everything.  My children had their own bb guns in 1st and 2nd grade. They were taught it is not a toy and was only to be used under parents supervision.  
    I am sure the 2yr old is not playing with the guns and is also not the one taking care of the pony either. 
      September 20, 2023 7:46 PM MDT

A shotgun AND a rifle AND a pony? She's going to spoil that kid,  for sure.
      September 21, 2023 10:21 AM MDT