Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Chief Ten Beers
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Do you think you can help other people but you can't and when you try you look like a fool?

Do you think you can help other people but you can't and when you try you look like a fool?

I walked away saying little brat bidge after a complicated set of impossibles.

Posted - November 14, 2023

Responses

Don't think I looked like a fool at all, just a Mom trying to save the life of my child. 
      November 14, 2023 10:06 PM MST

With my tendency to sometimes apologize unnecessarily, I don't much care how I come across to others, believe it or not.

And I've learned a lot over the years -- people have come to me and have said how much I've helped them yet I am just living my life as best I can, being myself. 
      November 15, 2023 8:17 PM MST

Cool bro Wel!
      November 15, 2023 8:23 PM MST

You summed it up quite nicely there.
      November 15, 2023 8:23 PM MST

Guidelines for helping

- Most of the time, most people are the only ones who can help themselves.
    - Wait until someone asks for help, and always ask exactly what kind of help they want.
    - Only give it if you can do so without cost to yourself, or if you can afford the cost willingly.
    - If it's advice, don't expect them to take it.
    - Don't expect anything in return unless it's agreed in advance.
    - If someone is unconscious, ring for help without waiting for permission.
    - If someone seems incapable of helping themselves due to disability,
       first ask if they want help and to give you instructions on how.
    - If someone is unable to ask (an animal, too young, too old or injured) give help immediately and ring the emergency help line.

This post was edited by inky at December 12, 2023 5:42 PM MST
      November 22, 2023 7:17 PM MST

I'm okay with looking like a fool if it means there's a chance it will help someone, or make them smile. According to inky's guidelines, that is. 

Sometimes, it seems helping also involves having to confront somebody else. Yesterday, I saw a guy sitting in his truck for 5 minutes or so without turning off the engine. With gestures, I tried to ask if everything's okay; and whether he'd like to turn off the engine. He didn't. 

I may have looked stupid, or worse - pretentious or something. But if a person does harm, even in a small way (say, by causing noise and pollution), I think one is supposed to try and find a cool, sensible manner of addressing it.
      November 23, 2023 5:33 AM MST

Thank you!
      November 25, 2023 8:49 PM MST