Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Electronics » What is the maximum current for most rooms or circuits for your house’s or apartment’s circuit breaker?

What is the maximum current for most rooms or circuits for your house’s or apartment’s circuit breaker?

This was inspired by this question: https://answermug.com/forums/topic/141630/how-do-i-get-the-rest-of-the-house-power-back-on

Yes, this a weird question, I know.  I’m asking because I thought it was usually 20 A for countries with 120 V mains electricity and 15 A for countries with 230 V mains electricity.  

Anyway, I posted a link in a reply to Danny that basically asks an electrician the same question that Danny asked here, but the question was from a Canadian (Canada uses the same mains electricity as the USA), but the asker on that website has a 15 A circuit breaker in his house.

Posted - November 16, 2023

Responses

I have a 200 amp box.
      November 16, 2023 6:53 PM MST

It’s a good answer but you made me edit my question for clarity.  I actually wasn’t thinking about the total for the circuit breaker.  I was wondering about the individual switches for most circuits.  Mine is 200 A total also.
      November 16, 2023 7:29 PM MST

Do you think Danny understasnds it?
      November 16, 2023 7:35 PM MST

I may have been overly technical and too sciency.  I’ve been surrounded by nerds my whole life, I probably am one, so it’s kind of a bad habit.

Would these simplify things?

November 16, 2023 7:55 PM MST

I like nerdy women.
      November 16, 2023 7:59 PM MST

That sent me out into the hall to have a look.....

The maximum for the lot is 100A, at 230V, but that allows a margin of safety as the RCD total for the lighting and power ring-mains plus a spur to lights and sockets in the shed is 63A.

The individual ring-main and spur RCDs are not labelled for current capacity; but the socket ring-circuits, one on each floor, feed twin 13A outlets. So in effect each pair of sockets could draw 26A, but divided into 13A each side of them.

I think the shed spur is fused at 13A.

So not easy to determine the maximum current per room or floor, only know what is the maximum overall. With only me rattling around the house, I don't enough switched on at once to worry the circuits, only my bank balance!
      December 3, 2023 4:01 PM MST