Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What have you learned about and/or started doing that you think everyone might benefit from?

What have you learned about and/or started doing that you think everyone might benefit from?

Posted - December 18, 2023

Responses

What some people are capable of and how to handle a "Karen." The thought process of some, a lot, of the general public is troubling.  I've almost had my fill of "Karen" videos, I think now I can spot trouble right away, attitudes, trigger words etc.  Been watching a lot of Jordan Peterson videos lately, he has a lot of good, reasonable and intelligent things to say. Additionally, Ben Shapiro is always a delight. 
      December 18, 2023 11:45 AM MST

There have been significant changes in my thinking lately -- thanks to a certain special somebody. Hard to put the lessons into words, but I think a good deal of it is about not precluding certain emotions, or even the capacity to understand others better, just on account of some norms of masculinity. 

That might not sound of much relevance to women, yet I do think gender norms are, in a manner of speaking, something we inflict on one another. We could be kinder to ourselves and to others; and those two go well together. That's another of those lessons. 

Oh, and trying to keep the battery charge on devices between 20 and 80%, for longevity!
      December 21, 2023 5:11 PM MST

Excellent!
      December 21, 2023 6:20 PM MST

Thank you! There's another thing I think everyone can benefit from: having friends outside of one's age group. I just happen to like one of mine a bit better than that, hehe.
      December 22, 2023 5:44 PM MST

Does this mean you are dating a teenager? :)
      December 22, 2023 5:54 PM MST

Hahaha, strangely enough, I feel like some would accept that more easily. The sickos.
      December 22, 2023 6:31 PM MST

You and Jane, eh? Nice!

Better not let Randy find out...
      December 23, 2023 11:07 AM MST

I saw that face and just couldn't resist... The world will understand.
      December 23, 2023 3:12 PM MST

For some time, I've been learning not to have so much judgement of others. I used to have very black and white thinking about more things, and particular ideas about what is acceptable/unacceptable. Inserting my own opinions about things that are none of my business, basically. 

Recently I've been gifted what I refer to as a "Karmic Lesson" pertaining to something I've held judgements about. I'm incredibly thankful, as it's been a very kind and rewarding lesson so far. I look forward to learning and enjoying it much more in the future. 

How about you, Jane? Anything you care to share?
      December 21, 2023 7:57 PM MST

"Karmic Less-on" doesn't sound so bad, but you say you'd like more of it in the future? Doesn't that make it a Karmic More-on?
      December 22, 2023 5:47 PM MST

That's an interesting turn... more on than off, I think. 
      December 23, 2023 10:54 AM MST

I also become less judgmental with each passing year. I don't know if that's due to wisdom or to apathy. :)

Along those lines, I've learned  most people are a lot less critical of me than I am of myself. 
      December 22, 2023 6:03 PM MST

Haha! Probably a bit of both?
    Isn't it strange and unfair how age is blamed on so many character and personality flaws? I suppose maybe it goes one way or the other as we age, but I'm guessing that generally people stay pretty true to their overall nature. I hope more of us learn and bloom rather than anger and harden.
      December 23, 2023 11:05 AM MST

I remember at a very young age being struck deeply with "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
     Even at six or seven years old, it made deep sense to me. 
    I know i've lived my life that way. it's not that difficult for me.
    And from how I see, and have seen, others overall treat me (and that many so often tell me that they love me), I find The Golden Rule has benefitted others and me.
      December 26, 2023 6:03 PM MST

That concept is the basis of every major religion and when you get down to it, it's actually empathy for others. It's very clear that you have that.
      December 26, 2023 8:43 PM MST

You've said that well in every way. Thanks.

I've noted your point, too, when I've read/studied/listened/experienced about religions.
    I appreciate your finding I have empathy.

And I appreciate your kindness to me.  :)
      December 27, 2023 7:21 AM MST