Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Does anyone think new cars have too many doodads these days?

Does anyone think new cars have too many doodads these days?

Posted - January 12

Responses

Yes they do.  The more do-dads there are, the less attention a driver gives to watching the road.  plus when one does get into a wreck, the more expensive it is to fix (which will eventually jack up insurance rates).
      January 12, 2024 9:08 AM MST

Just the thing, a wiper to save on toilet paper! LOLOL!
      January 12, 2024 9:43 AM MST

Yes, I agree. But I don't own a newer car, so mine doesn't have many.
      January 12, 2024 10:28 AM MST

My car is ten years old.  It has some features, bluetooth capabilities for example, but I don't use it because I don't drive and chat on the phone.  I only have a little over 65,000 miles on my car and my engine still sparkles. :)
      January 12, 2024 1:25 PM MST

Mine's 13. It runs. Everything works and that's all I care about. It has bluetooth, but I had to ask the dealer what that was for. I never use it.
      January 12, 2024 4:12 PM MST

Mine runs well, too because I don't use it all that much and because I take good care of it.  When I bought it, the car had bluetooth, but the flip phone I had back then was not compatible.
      January 13, 2024 10:21 AM MST

Thanks for the chuckle!!
      January 12, 2024 1:33 PM MST

Very much so. Reading some car reviews I can't help thinking the makers are angling for the wealthy (over-paid?), gadget-conscious must-haves rather than any ordinary motorist.

It's rather timely I saw this only this evening having been talking battery-electric cars with a friend this morning.

He's quite enthusiastic with his (I don't know the model) except for one thing.

He'd parked it somewhere, and on returning, found the windows fully open. He took it back to the dealer who said something to the effect that it's not unknown with that model, and it would £x to correct.

The owner pointed out, successfully, that the car was still under warranty so it's for the garage to pay, not him.

The fault? Apparently, if the interior of the car becomes too hot from the sun on it, the windows open fully to help cool it. Only, that's meant to happen only when you unlock it, not on its own when you are nowhere near it!

While another friend says the one thing she dislikes intensely on her Honda (I think) hybrid is that if the car "thinks" you are too close to the side of the road it grabs control of the steering and "corrects" the path. Which is not what you always want. You can switch this "feature" off but, she informs me, you have to do it every time you start the car.
      January 13, 2024 1:58 PM MST