Active Now

Randy D

The moon...

The Moon is very bright these last few nights.  What astronomic conditions affect the Moon's brightness?

PS. Should "moon" be capitalized?  Seems it should as a proper name.

Posted - November 16, 2016

Responses

Yes!...;-D...

November 16, 2016 9:16 PM MST

No.  The moon need not be capitalized.  It is a common noun not a proper one.  Go figure.  Just like the sun.  It really is not capitalized all the time either. 

Now what was the other part of this? 

I have seen way bigger moons than this one and as far as brightness, yes it WAS bright, but nothing I would have noticed off-hand.

NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center Scientific Visualization Studio)   Oh, is it that time again? The time for everyone to overhype the “Supermoon”?

Phil Plait writes Slate’s Bad Astronomy blog and is an astronomer, public speaker, science evangelizer, and author of Death From the Skies!

The largest moon of the year, called the supermoon, shined its biggest and brightest in nearly 70 years early Monday morning.

Supermoons happen when the moon's wonky elliptical orbit lines up perfectly with the Earth and the sun. On November 14, this dance of orbital physics brought the moon to within 222,000 miles of Earth — 30,000 miles closer than its most distant point — during its full lunar phase. That made our celestial neighbor appear 14% bigger and 30% brighter than normal, according to NASA.

Photographers all over the world have published fantastic images of the event.

However, one photo in particular, which we first saw at NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day site, stuck out above the rest: 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 16, 2016 11:30 PM MST
      November 16, 2016 11:20 PM MST

If the moon lined up perfectly with the earth and sun we would have either a solar eclipse or a lunar eclipse.
      November 17, 2016 8:01 AM MST

I copied this from the internet and this guy who said that is a famous astrologer.  ????
      November 17, 2016 8:15 AM MST

• Moon is capitalized when referring to the Earths Moon but not just any moon.
      November 17, 2016 1:05 AM MST

Earth's moon.  Not capitalized.

When do you capitalize the Moon?

Names of celestial bodies: Mars, Saturn, the Milky Way. Do not, however, capitalize earth, moon, sun, except when those names appear in a context in which other (capitalized) celestial bodies are mentioned This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 17, 2016 8:17 AM MST
      November 17, 2016 8:16 AM MST

• The Moon is a moon.  The proper name for The Earths moon is The Moon.  Just like on Earth we plant things in earth.
      November 17, 2016 8:42 AM MST

How is this an answer?   Did you read what I said?

Do not, however, capitalize earth, moon, sun, except when those names appear in a context in which other (capitalized) celestial bodies are mentioned

The Earth is a celestial body.  So the Earth, Moon, Venus, Mars and the Sun can be capitalized since the Moon was mentioned in a series.   The Earth's moon can go either way.

The Earth is a celestial body, yes, but we are talking about it's moon in a separate context, not labeling celestial bodies in a series.    It is not necessarily capitalized. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 17, 2016 8:51 AM MST
      November 17, 2016 8:46 AM MST

• It answers it and gives examples.    When talking about The Moon, moon is capitalized.    Read the title,  it ask about The Moon,  as our moon.   The Moon is the proper name for our moon and is generally capitalized.     It's not hard to understand when the word moon is capitalized.  It has nothing to with mentioning or not mentioning other celestial bodies.
      November 17, 2016 9:05 AM MST

If you use the moon as a proper name it is capitalized.  No kidding.  I know.  That is not what you said at all.  Are we going to fight about the moon now? 

Who cares.  The earth's moon is not capitalized.  Sorry.  The Moon when used as it's title is. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 17, 2016 9:08 AM MST
      November 17, 2016 9:07 AM MST

• That's exactly what I said!  I like you but you make zero sense sometimes.
      November 17, 2016 9:17 AM MST

BytheLightoftheMoonalbumcover.png
      November 17, 2016 1:12 AM MST

November 17, 2016 1:13 AM MST

I could not distinguish any difference.
      November 17, 2016 7:58 AM MST