Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Randy D
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Speaking about UNFAIR, is it UNFAIR for Trump to own a hotel in Washington DC?? After all, would ahead of state stay ANYWHERE else??

Speaking about UNFAIR, is it UNFAIR for Trump to own a hotel in Washington DC?? After all, would ahead of state stay ANYWHERE else??

Hello:

I didn't know ethics were so HARD...  To me, it's SIMPLE..  You shouldn't PROFIT from your position in government...  Tell me how wrong I am.

excon

Posted - November 21, 2016

Responses

If you're an honest person, ethics aren't hard at all.  I don't know how many heads of state stay at his hotel in D.C., but I do know there are a lot of good hotels besides his.  The sad part is that it may not be illegal for him to do this, which it should be.
      November 21, 2016 8:28 AM MST

• You are assuming Ahead of State would somehow be forced to stay at a Trump Hotel because they have no other option and would be too afraid of offending President Trump and thus they wouldn't "get what they want".

Where do Heads of States usually stay? Maybe at their embassy? Or not even in D.C.? Maybe they fly right back home. 
      November 21, 2016 8:28 AM MST

Hello Mr,

Isee you don't understand how stuff works..  I dunno WHY.. This is NOT hard..  But, I'll give you another shot..

At one time in my life I sold to restaurants..  When I flew into town, I INVITED their purchasing officer to lunch.  Do you think I took him to his competitors restaurant???

This is NOT hard.

excon
      November 21, 2016 9:23 AM MST

• I am completely understanding you. That is why I read into your comment beyond the words and wrote:

You are assuming Ahead of State would somehow be forced to stay at a Trump Hotel because they have no other option and would be too afraid of offending President Trump and thus they wouldn't "get what they want".

What do you want to happen? Have them tear Trump's name off his hotel? Shut it down? Refuse reservations from these "Heads of State" that are scrambling to say at a Trump Hotel just so Trump will grant them special favors?

This is such a small issue next to the usual back-room high-level deals that have happened before and will continue to happen no matter what.

---------

Why did you buy them lunch at a restaurant they owned? Couldn't they eat there for free? Seems weird.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 21, 2016 10:03 AM MST
      November 21, 2016 10:03 AM MST

Hello again, Mr:

Well, I'm glad you asked..  It's not gonna be as easy as it was for previous presidents, because their assets weren't HOTELS with their name plastered all over them..  But, that doesn't mean Trump can't SEPARATE himself from his business.  He can.  In its SIMPLEST form, he'd need to hire a trustee to handle ALL of his business dealings.  That would be ALL of them.

No, the trustee can't be one of his children..

excon This post was edited by excon at November 21, 2016 10:40 AM MST
      November 21, 2016 10:39 AM MST

• Is the exclusion of his children the law or just how you want it to be?

November 21, 2016 12:59 PM MST

Hello again, Mr.

It's NOT a matter of I want it to be..  It's a matter of what WORKS.. 

I find it extraordinary interesting that you don't see ANY conflict of interest with Trumps children running his business..  And, I don't think I'm gonna be able to convince you otherwise, either..  So, I'm not gonna try..

What I WILL say, is that I find it AMAZING, truly amazing, that a convicted FELON has to explain ethics to straight people..  

excon
      November 21, 2016 1:14 PM MST

• Being unethical has WORKED for a lot of people, especially business people. So that's what they do. Unfortunately, Capitalism encourages this behavior so there are LAWS to MAKE them be at least MORE ETHICAL.

It seems like you want some new laws to deal with extremely wealthy Capitalists becoming president. That probably IS a good idea.

But, I guess if you don't like it, you can just pick up and move to a new country. Moving is easy.
      November 21, 2016 1:23 PM MST

First, Trump doesn't OWN the any Hotel in DC. The GSA awarded a 60 year LEASE for the Old Post Office and Clock Tower to a consortium headed by The Trump Organization. Unless the requirement for bids has changed, the various Hotels in DC that are interested in providing rooms for Government use must bid. That would include the Trump International Hotel Washington, DC. I will also note that in most cases, foreign governments make their own arrangements for their dignitaries accommodations when staying in DC or even NYC. 
      November 21, 2016 8:50 AM MST

Hello S:

Couple things..  I wasn't talking about government employees staying at his hotel.  I was talking about visiting heads of state and/or their diplomats.  Yes, I made a typo.  Is that why you misunderstood?? 

Secondly, you're splitting hairs about the word "owner"..  I OWN several business's that are located in buildings I DON'T own..

Third..  Foreign governments DO make their own accommodations.. So, I'll ask you again, WHICH foreign government is gonna book their diplomats and/or heads of state in any OTHER hotel beside Trumps??

This is NOT hard..

excon
      November 21, 2016 9:14 AM MST

As I said, accommodation arrangements will be up to the foreign government. In most cases, a foreign diplomat/head of state stays at the Embassy, Embassy housing or, if in NYC, the Consulate. That will be up to that foreign government. None of this is a big deal!
      November 21, 2016 9:30 AM MST

Hello again, S:

Lemme ask you this..  If you were a foreign government TRYING to curry favor with Trump, would you book a room in HIS hotel, or the Radisson across town?  This is NOT hard stuff..  You'd KNOW enough to stay at his hotel..  Wouldn't you???  Maybe YOU wouldn't.  Maybe you can't even imagine a foreign government DOING that, and I cannot imagine why. 

However, in the world I live in, not ONLY would those foreign governments book a room in his hotel, they'd book the most expensive SUITE they could...

excon

PS>  By the way..  Where do you stand on the Clinton Foundation?? 
    This post was edited by excon at November 21, 2016 11:42 AM MST
      November 21, 2016 9:44 AM MST

• In all likelihood, he  would comp their rooms. But like the others have said, they would probably stay at their embassy's where security would be tighter. 
      November 21, 2016 10:21 AM MST

Hello again, K:

I don't want to depend on "likely".  I want there to be a WALL OF SEPARATION between Trump the CEO, and Trump the president..  It CAN be done, but certainly his children can't be involved.

On another matter, do you think it's "likely" that Hillary took pay to play??

excon
      November 21, 2016 10:49 AM MST

Not to get picky excon but did Pres Carter have to separate himself from peanuts when he was president ,he owned a peanut farm.
      November 21, 2016 1:17 PM MST

Hello Tom:

Yes he did.

"Every modern president — even Jimmy Carter with his peanut farm — has put their assets into a genuine blind trust."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/editorials/trump-blind-to-asset-dilemma/news-story/21e310ba61f08162f32f0a8bc90f9324

excon
    This post was edited by excon at November 21, 2016 1:41 PM MST
      November 21, 2016 1:40 PM MST

Yes
      November 21, 2016 11:01 AM MST