Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Are you celebrating the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe in your city today? (Dec.12.)

Are you celebrating the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe in your city today? (Dec.12.)

Dec. 12th is a big feast day in the Catholic Churches in the Americas. It is one of the biggest feast days in Mexico. Every day is a feast day of one or more saints in the Catholic calendar. It is a chance to celebrate the daily mass of the church. The Feast of the Virgin of Guadalupe is celebrated with parades, traditions from Mexico (because she appeared in Mexico City to a poor peasant), music, and masses.

I looked to see one celebration around Houston and found what one church is doing:

1. They will start with a mass.
2. Then they have a group of dancers called The Matachines to perform the dances.
3. Then mariachis will entertain with playing of guitars and singing.
4. Next, they will have refreshments and people are encouraged to have fellowship.
5. People are also encouraged to dress in their country's tradition dress. It will be interesting to see the various countries represented in this diverse area.
6. People may also bring flowers to put on the altar before the mass is celebrated.
7. Time: 6:30 pm - 9:45pm. (That's a long time during a school night.) I doubt I'll be going to any celebrations, but it's interesting to know how people celebrate feasts of the church.

Posted - December 12, 2016

Responses