Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Swoop62
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » What are the general components of an ongoing story/series?

What are the general components of an ongoing story/series?

I'm wanting to figure out all the information I need to start creating a story. I have a very basic idea but I need to expand it. I'm planning to try to write a series in comic/graphic novel format because it's a good trade-off between a written format and a video format.

As a programmer and a straight-up logical person, I work best when I have a series of logical steps I can follow and struggle with anything that doesn't have a defined right or wrong answer. To workaround this, I've decided I need to create a list of things that I need to know to create my story. Essentially questions that, when answered form a basic framework for the story.

So far the components I've thought of are:

• Setting:
    • Year
    • Location (Real/Fictional/Fantasy)
  • Characters:
    • Abilities
    • Personality
    • Motivation
    • Goals
    • Relationships
I know more information and more detailed components are needed, but I'm not sure what.

As mush detail as possible would be great. Once I have a formula, for lack of a better term, I can tweak it into a more unique shape. I've always been better at correcting/modifying than creating.

Posted - January 12, 2017

Responses

• You're overthinking things a bit.

Most of the stuff I've had published has been short -- magazine length or less -- and mostly related to sport or humour. But I also taught creative writing to a seniors' group for three years. Each week I asked somebody in the class to choose the following topic and one week a man wanted to write about a villain.

I came up with a woman named Mardroma (mardrom is the Swedish word for nightmare) and she was as evil as she was beautiful. I wrote three consecutive assignments about her (each one only 1,000 words) and a few years later, after leaving that class, used them as the bsis for The Mistress of Dimmiga Berg, an urban fantasy that pitted some characters from Norse mythology against some characters from Australian mythology. It was all set in 21st century Australia an the location was the Blue Mountains where I live. ("Dimmiga Berg" is actually Swedish for "Misty Mountain".)

My suggestion would be to select your theme, write a few short pieces about various aspects of your storyline and setting, and let them sit in your subconscious for a while. Don't let them go to sleep altogether but, in your day-to-day life, see how the people you encounter (or just pass in the street) might fit into your story. Examine the places you see, the situations you meet, the local and national events reported in the news, and see whether there's something there you could tie into the story.

You'll need to sketch your characters because you intend a visual presentation, but don't overdo them either. You'll probably find that they change as your perception and expectations change. You'll find that some of the characters will tell you quite bluntly that you are wrong and that they want to do things their way, and not your way.

You probably won't make a fortune but you'll certainly enjoy the experience. Good luck.

January 12, 2017 8:39 PM MST

I think this would be helpful to a normal person, but unfortunately my mind doesn't work that way, hence the original question..

I'm trying to adapt the creative process to my computer-like brain. The more open-ended a question/task is, the harder it is for me, so I need a fairly concrete process to work with. The two worst things someone can tell me are "There are no right answers" and "There are no wrong answers". It might seem like overthinking to a creative person, but my binary mind needs as much information as possible to be able to function. For example, I find algebra, calculus and programming exceedingly easy, but I find songwriting, brainstorming and essays almost impossible.
      January 15, 2017 9:34 PM MST

• I realised after reading Jakob's answer that I had probably given you bad advice. I was thinking in terms of writing and, of course, you were thinking in terms of graphics. Two different things. Sorry. 
      January 15, 2017 9:41 PM MST

No, no, you're correct, I'm am thinking in terms of writing. I just have a weird brain. Can't do graphics without a story.
      January 15, 2017 11:14 PM MST

"Comic/Graphic" suggest that information should be delivered in small segments and reinforced a bit before you add the next bit of information (eg next character)- Readers of novels have a longer attention span so you can start with something like "Cathy, Mary and Frida had known each other since HighSchool ..." :-)
      January 13, 2017 3:06 AM MST