Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are golf courses good or bad for the environment. Why?

Are golf courses good or bad for the environment. Why?

Posted - January 16, 2017

Responses

People think I look like I play golf. What's up with that? Is there some stereotypical golfer look?
    Anyway I think golf courses are a waste of space, but I suppose if they own the land and that's what they want to do with it, then fine. Just not too many of 'em.
      January 16, 2017 7:31 AM MST

How do they affect the environment? What is the environmental impact? Do they pollute the air? They rape the land without a doubt. Where things grew they replace them with sand traps. How can that possibly be a good thing? Thank you for your reply Patch! :)
      January 16, 2017 7:34 AM MST

I'm not sure how they affect the environment, I've never thought about it. I just know they take up a lot of space, but you can't force people to not build a golf course if they have the land and the money and they gots to have a place to play their little games. I just hope people don't build too many of them.
      January 16, 2017 7:42 AM MST

I think I'm gonna do some research on that Patch. My Jim LOVES to play golf.  We live in a retirement community with a 9-hole golf course on the premises. We are two blocks away from it. He plays golf with others twice a week but he is out there practicing practically every day. I'm happy that he has something he loves to do. But we watch golf tournaments all the time all around the world and I see all the sand traps there and I just started wondering about what that does to the environment? Replacing whatever grows there naturally with sand for sand traps? Just on the face of it there seems to be something not so good there.   I wonder how nany golf courses there are worldwide? Probably would be depressing to find out! Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      January 16, 2017 7:49 AM MST

• I know they aren't good for my environment as I can't play golf worth a damn and spent more time digging holes in the grass than anything else! Plus I learned to never drink beer while golfing!
      January 16, 2017 7:33 AM MST

Do they pollute the air? They rape the land for sure Rooster. They pull out growing things and replace them with sand traps. How can that possibly be a good thing? Thank you for your reply and Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day Monday to you! :)
      January 16, 2017 7:35 AM MST

• Never cared for golf and think it's a waste of space and time but golf courses are better than building parking lots and Walmarts, aren't they?
    Happy Monday to you Rosie! 
      January 16, 2017 7:38 AM MST

I don't know which would be more harmful to the environment Rooster. Breathing in sand? How much water does it take to keep golf courses green? I shop at Walmart. I like the employees and the selection and the prices. Some folks hate Walmart. I am not among them. I guess you are not a fan. Different strokes. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      January 17, 2017 5:00 AM MST

According to the Lawn Institute: Every acre of grass will supply enough oxygen for 64 people a day.

An average golf course will produce enough oxygen to support 4,000 to 7,000 people. A state like Georgia with 430 golf courses, will produce enough oxygen for more than 1 million people.

Our lawns play a major role in improving our air quality. By taking in carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen they are helping to clean the air that we breathe.
      January 16, 2017 7:44 AM MST

So will every acre of forest.
      January 16, 2017 8:04 AM MST

How much water does it take to keep the golf course grass green Beans? What about sand traps? How can it be healthy to breathe in sand? I dunno. I don't know how many zillion golf courses there are worldwide or whether they are an asset to humankind or a huge debit. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      January 17, 2017 5:02 AM MST

A golf course is a sanctuary for multi-balled mammals to roam free.
      January 16, 2017 7:48 AM MST

Hahahahahahaha! Well said! Thank you  for your reply MS and Happy Tuesday! :)
      January 17, 2017 5:03 AM MST

Probably a heck of a lot less than our Interstate Highway System...but we have gotten used to them and no longer think about their environmental impact. The environment has responded to golf courses as if they were no longer harmful invasive species...sort of like the common Carp. Also, sand traps take up only a small percentage of the space on most courses. Golf courses are also game preserves and most have lots of forests with a variety of animals, including those elusive little white balls which I am proud to say I have planted many.
      January 16, 2017 8:03 AM MST

How much water does it take to keep the grass green Ele? If you're in sand traps a lot you breathe in sand. It's inevitable. How healthy is that for the lungs? How many golf-courses are there in the world?  D 'ya think rationing water for humans to drink so we can keep golfcourse grass green is a good tradeoff? Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Tuesday!  :)
      January 17, 2017 5:04 AM MST

I suppose the only concern might be what do they spray on the grass? is there a serious run off of chemicals? if not ,then it's ok.They look a lot better than anything else that would be built there.
      January 16, 2017 8:16 AM MST

How much water is used to keep golf course grass green? In some drought areas humans are on water rationing. Think that's a good trade-off? I don't. How many golf courses are there worldwide? Thank you for your reply TomT! :)
      January 17, 2017 5:06 AM MST

i dont see anything wrong with them
      January 16, 2017 9:28 AM MST

I do. Thank you for your reply pearl.

At the end of next summer, they are closing my favorite local golf course. It is being purchased by some local parks district. It has always been a haven for nature with bald eagles nesting and deer running around. In fact, I've had a few eagles and birdies there myself. 
      January 16, 2017 12:23 PM MST

Cute. Thank you for your reply bh.