Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do you support/not support gender reassignment surgery for those who are in prison? Is it for humanitarian reasons? What does it cost?

Do you support/not support gender reassignment surgery for those who are in prison? Is it for humanitarian reasons? What does it cost?

Posted - January 18, 2017

Responses

• I'm against it.   I see it as an elective cosmetic  or at least a non-lifesaving surgery and don't think tax dollars should pay for non-lifesaving medical procedures.

The cost of the procedure along with all the counseling that goes along with it before and after is too great for something that doesn't pose an immediate threat.  So I don't think prisoners should have the price covered for it.  If they can fund it externally than they should be allowed access to it.

January 18, 2017 5:06 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Glis and Happy Wednesday. I read that Chelsea tried to commit suicide because she wasn't getting the necessary medical care for gender reclassification. I don't know if that's why they did it . I have no idea what emotional he** a person like that goes through. I'm a gal and I've always been happy being one so I can't relate. But if you are really female within emotionally with male body parts that can't be comfy. Even so folks on the outside don't get free access to any kind of health care they want so I don't see why prisoners should be privileged and treated differently.
      January 18, 2017 6:40 AM MST

Tax dollars should not be paying for it. 
      January 18, 2017 5:08 AM MST

I agree with thee. Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Wednesday! :)
      January 18, 2017 6:36 AM MST

• It's a very costly procedure and I don't think the tax payers should be straddled with it.
    http://health.costhelper.com/sex-reassignment-surgery.html
      January 18, 2017 5:09 AM MST

Me too neither. Thank you for your reply Karen! :)
      January 18, 2017 6:35 AM MST

They can wait until they're released and pay for the surgeries themselves. There shouldn't be any prison surgeries performed at taxpayer expense that are elective. 
      January 18, 2017 5:28 AM MST

Saving a life is one thing. Anything else?  Why? Thank you for your reply PC and Happy Wednesday to thee!
      January 18, 2017 6:35 AM MST

No, not JUST to save a life. If they are in physical pain and only surgery will alleviate it, they should have surgery. 
      January 18, 2017 7:24 AM MST

Hello Rosie:

Health care is a right, even in prison.

excon
      January 18, 2017 5:45 AM MST

To save lives. Yes. For cosmetic purposes? For gender reclassification? The reclassified person isn't paying for it. Health care is not a right for regular folks. We have to pay for it.  People outside the walls of prison can't get surgery just because it is "needed" or desired. Does that 'right' extend to a nose job or boob job or weight-loss surgery? Is there any line or is everything fine. Somehow it doesn't seem right to me to provide criminals with surgery that non-criminals can't get unless they pay for it. It's muddled in my mind excon. Do the anti AHCA folks mind paying for surgery inside prisons? Where is their stand on that? Inquiring minds want to know.  Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      January 18, 2017 6:05 AM MST

Hello again, Rosie:

Well, I AGREE that prisoners SHOULDN'T get health care that people on the OUTSIDE can't get..    My solution, however, is NOT to take away health care from prisoners, but to GIVE it to EVERYBODY..

excon
      January 18, 2017 6:11 AM MST

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! With a Republican House, Senate and prez? They're gonna  take away what we have and have no interest in giving back better/cheaper. We all know the game they're playing. I just want to know WHY they haven't attacked the prison system and health care they get? Why is it only we the people on the outside they are targeting. Any ideas on that?
      January 18, 2017 6:25 AM MST

Hello again, Rosie:

Sure I do.  As you may have noticed, I have an opinion on EVERYTHING.. 

Health care in the FEDERAL prison system isn't bad, and that's where Manning is..  But the feds only hold around 10% of the nations prisoners, and STATE prison health care is the WORST, and I mean the WORST.  NOBODY in state custody EVER gets gender reassignment surgery - NOBODY..

excon

This post was edited by excon at January 18, 2017 10:44 AM MST
      January 18, 2017 6:40 AM MST

I don't know the difference excon.  So Federal prison health care is imported champagne and state health care is Thunderbird? Sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me. Thanks for the info. I had no idea! :))
      January 18, 2017 6:43 AM MST

It isn't a right.  Prisoners get it because the Supreme Court said that based on the Eighth A it was cruel and unusual punishment to withhold medical care from them.  That was in 1968 (I believe).  Estelle vs Gamble

There is no Constitutional right to health insurance or health care.  Both are consumer products. 
      January 19, 2017 3:36 AM MST

Hello TM:

What you say is true.  Voting isn't a "codified" right either..  Nonetheless, in my view, they're HUMAN rights, and I hope they'll be codified into law during my lifetime..

excon
      January 19, 2017 6:59 AM MST