Active Now

Danilo_G
WelbyQuentin
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Language » "Living well is the best revenge". What does "living well" mean to you? Why?

"Living well is the best revenge". What does "living well" mean to you? Why?

Posted - January 21, 2017

Responses

• Robert Louis Stevenson once wrote that: "The world is so full of wonderful things that we should all be as happy as kings". The really elusive goals of our existence are happiness, peace of mind and contentment. Too often the things we pursue are temporal and illusory with a tendency to disappoint. I would add the following to what Stevenson said: "All that glitters is not gold". That's my own observation of living well. 
      January 21, 2017 7:21 AM MST

So according to you we pursue the temporal/illusory and are disappointed. What we perceive as something of value is not. It is fool's gold. That is your observation of living well? Illusion/disappointing? That is my  observation of he**. Thank you for your reply driftwood and Happy Saturday. My "living well" is very simple. To be happy with what I have,  be grateful and appreciative of it.  Which I am .  Don't complain about what I don't have. Which I don't. So I am always living well according to my definition of it. Are you? Your living well sounds very disappointing and sad and empty. I like mine better! Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      January 21, 2017 11:05 AM MST

• Happiness and peace of mind are treasures in life that many forfeit in pursuit of things that appear to have value but do not. Chasing wealth, affluence, position and prestige can disappoint. I invite you to reread my answer. Please note that I include contentment in living well. If being content and happy is your version of Hell, then you are in truly sad shape. I think we were close to being in agreement in this but you have totally missed the point. I'd rather be satisfied than invest in those pursuits that really have nothing to do with real happiness. Many have had position and wealth and have taken their own lives. So what have they gained? As much as I appreciate your concern, I don't see myself as sad and empty. We evidently have very different definitions of what brings peace of mind as well as what living well is about.
      January 21, 2017 11:35 AM MST

• It means not dwelling on the past and the 'injustices' that others have put on me. Not letting others take my energy by obsessing over what they may or may not have done to me. Living in the present and rolling with the punches and living my life my way.
      January 21, 2017 11:10 AM MST

probably having a job so you can get your needs met better
      January 22, 2017 9:22 PM MST