Discussion » Questions » Politics » Math IS hard, isn't it?? Republicans SAY 20 million people WON'T lose their insurance while they GUT the mandates that pay for it.

Math IS hard, isn't it?? Republicans SAY 20 million people WON'T lose their insurance while they GUT the mandates that pay for it.

Hello:

You can read all about their dilemma HERE.

excon

Posted - January 28, 2017

Responses

Congressman Alan Grayson had the GOP approach to health care diagnosed back in 2009...;-D...

January 28, 2017 9:06 AM MST

Republicans have made a mess of it and they know it. Good link - everybody should read it. 
      January 28, 2017 9:16 AM MST

No matter how you feel about it, something needs to be done. Obamacare was sold by telling people is we insure young people, who typically didn't have insurance and wouldn't use it much, at a reasonable rate. Their premiums will help pay for those who couldn't afford insurance. Penalties were placed to force this generation into compliance. I don't know how many of you know people in this age group, but it covers a fair amount of my family, and many of my friends' children. Most have stayed on their parents insurance until they aged out at 26 even though they are working and living on their own. They simply can't afford the insurance offered. I have one friend whose son just turned 26. When he looked into what was offered it would cost him more than his car payment. In fact it would cost him more than what his parents were paying for their family plan. So instead of getting insurance he is paying the penalty. He is now paying for something to cover others and has no coverage himself. He is not the only one I know of in the same boat. Also many of the people I know have had their rates double. Honestly there is only one person I know of personally that has actually benefitted from it.

I know scrapping it totally isn't the answer, but there has to be something done when people who have been insured all along can no longer afford their insurance. They are dropping it and paying the penalty and praying nothing serious happens.
      January 28, 2017 11:26 AM MST

You are right, many people talk a good game but really don't know what they are talking about , something like the Dems did and they believed it.
      January 28, 2017 12:43 PM MST

Hello G:

My post is based on math, so let's stick with that.. First off, Obamacare needs to be fixed.  We "fixed" Social Security 1,000's of times and Paul Ryan is about to "fix" it again.  So, we're used to fixes. 

T
    he Obamacare people are right..  If you wanna cover everybody, then everybody has to pay for it..  That's math..  Let's just stop there..  If you're NOT gonna make EVERYBODY pay for it, then EVERYBODY isn't going to get it..  If everybody isn't going to get it, then those who DON'T get it are going to DIE in the streets, or the taxpayer is gonna subsidize them..  That's math too.  And, if we're gonna subsidize people, that's what Obamacare does. 

The above would be crap, of course, if you believe the right wing myth that you can get treated for ANY disease you have at your local ER.  But, you don't believe that, do you?

excon This post was edited by excon at January 28, 2017 12:54 PM MST
      January 28, 2017 12:50 PM MST

The problem is not everyone is in because they can't afford to be. How's that math working? This post was edited by Gatorblu at January 28, 2017 5:46 PM MST
      January 28, 2017 5:45 PM MST

Hello again, G:

What you say is true again...  People can't afford to be IN, so SOME people will be left OUT.  It's a problem for ME because I want EVERYBODY in..  But, it's NOT a problem for Republicans because that's gonna BE their plan.  

The clear answer is to treat healthcare like we treat our local fire department..  Everybody pays in with their taxes, and everybody gets benefits...  Nobody OWNS the fire department, so nobody goes into firefighting to get rich.  They go into it to serve their fellowman. We can do the same thing with health care..

Look..  I'm a capitalist..  I would MUCH rather the health care industry FIX what's wrong with itself..  But, they don't wanna FIX it.  They wanna get RICH off it..  I believe in free markets..  I also believe in the safety net..  If push came to shove, and it HAS, I'm gonna chose the safety net every time..

excon
      January 28, 2017 6:26 PM MST