Discussion » Questions » Business » She'll be right, mate!

She'll be right, mate!

I once saw an interview with a high-powered American executive returning to the US after a stint in Sydney. The journalist predictably asked, "How did you like Australia?" and instead of platitudes he provoked a meltdown. "I hated it. I hated every minute of it. Whenever I tried to get something done I was told, 'She'll be right, mate!' Well it WON'T be right. I'm going home to have a nervous breakdown."

What have you notice about your own work ethic and that of your community? Would you identify with the businessman or with the locals?

Posted - February 11, 2017

Responses

• Since I'm retired? Probably just with the locals.
      February 11, 2017 2:13 PM MST

• It's a relaxing time, Rooster.
      February 11, 2017 2:16 PM MST

• Love it.. he clearly didn't *get* Australians :P  
      February 11, 2017 2:37 PM MST

• I was in Cairns some years ago and heard an elderly, and very tired-looking, American tourist complaining to his wife that "These are the most uncourteous people in the world." I would have explained that we're really discourteous but didn't think it would help. I can only guess that he'd gone into a shop and some pimply faced kid had called him "Mate". We're pretty informal in most places.
      February 11, 2017 5:27 PM MST

• The aussie equivalent of "manana"... perhaps ...
    I think many Americans treat business as a day in the arena.. us Vs the lions ...
    Life and death ... sadly weer have picked up similar bad habits .... maybe it was always thus but i just never noticed ... anyone know the life expectancy of a gladiator?

I apologize for having such deep thoughts on a Sunday... I'll try to stop it!
      February 11, 2017 2:59 PM MST

• Russell Crowe was a gladiator and he's pretty old.
      February 11, 2017 5:28 PM MST

• I don't quite remember it ending well though ....
      February 11, 2017 5:33 PM MST

• Sure it did. He ended up walking through Elysian fields, reunited with his family. Whaddaya want, realism? 
      February 11, 2017 5:35 PM MST