Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How do you feel about pomp and pageantry?

How do you feel about pomp and pageantry?

What is its place in society? Would you go out of your way to watch it?

Posted - February 12, 2017

Responses

I don't care for it,  and never watch it, though I know many do.  
      February 12, 2017 4:16 PM MST

• I don't mind the spectacle but I never go anywhere there are crowds -- if I can avoid it. That limits my opportunities.
      February 12, 2017 5:36 PM MST

I do.  Whenever I see it, I wonder how better that money could have been spent. 
      February 12, 2017 8:24 PM MST

• We can always find better, more practical uses for money, but we need highlights too or life can become very dull. Pageantry (like sporting events and entertainment) can help to provide them.
      February 12, 2017 8:27 PM MST

Perhaps I should distinguish between private and public monies.  Privately, I care not.  Publicly, if people are hurting, then pagentry is...sorry, I cannot think of a word that adequately portrays my disgust.  
      February 12, 2017 8:35 PM MST

Perhaps, because of it's historical value.  I'd like to see the Hawaiian dancers or the dancers in
    New Zeland they are exciting.  Pomp and pageantry is heart stopping in a ballet.  The Leningrad Kirov did a pomp and pageantry entrance complete with drums and music to overwhelm omgosh, to this day I have not experienced anything comparable.  Wish I could remember the name of the ballet they performed.  So, my answer is  yes, I'd go out of my way to see it. 

February 12, 2017 4:18 PM MST

• If you can recall it you might be able to find it on YouTube. Not the same but it would bring back memories. Maybe if you just searched for Kirov Ballet you'd find it.  --  And then you might let me know so I could watch it too... :)
      February 12, 2017 5:38 PM MST

• I think it definitely has its place ... It's a reminder of the weight of history that got us to where we are today ... It's a reminder of those to come and how they will judge us ... It's a reminder  to hasten slowly as the first right answer in not necessarily the best right answer
      February 12, 2017 4:49 PM MST

• Must be our colonial background, Ozgirl, but those are my thoughts, too. I may not be too keen on some of the toffee-nosed gits who get off on that but the pageantry itself, the link to the past, is great.
      February 12, 2017 5:39 PM MST

• Yep... You read my mind ... I think it's a case of you using it (bad) .... Or it using you (good) ... If that makes sense
      February 12, 2017 6:19 PM MST

Very few people would put up with high school if there were no pomp and pageantry at the end.
      February 12, 2017 6:36 PM MST

• I don't think we have anything like that in our high schools, though it might have changed since my own kids left. I've been out of touch with it since then. 
      February 13, 2017 12:15 AM MST

I mean this:

February 13, 2017 9:16 AM MST

• You got me. Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance March. Great music. 
      February 13, 2017 3:12 PM MST

Pomp and pageantry is sometimes just pimp and ho's *sigh* This post was edited by O-uknow at February 12, 2017 9:18 PM MST
      February 12, 2017 7:19 PM MST

• That's a bit of a stretch.
      February 12, 2017 8:39 PM MST

• Being of English ancestry, I suppose that it is in my DNA somewhere, but I find that I need more than just the show ... I need the show to have talent.
    All the bells and whistles mean little, if that's all they are.

The Texans have a phrase for a guy who wears a cowboy hat all the time, but has never seen a horse ... "All hat and no cattle."
    Music videos that sell records because it was "A Great Video!" ... with little mention of the song or artist.
    Movies are using more and more special effects and less and less story.

I used to do a little racing and, amongst the racers, we had a saying ... "If it don't go ... chrome it!"  It seems to me, nowadays, that "talent" is being replaced by chrome .... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 13, 2017 1:46 AM MST
      February 13, 2017 12:33 AM MST

• Alf, that's an exceptional answer. Love the hat/no cattle bit. :)
      February 13, 2017 1:47 AM MST

Thanks for the Texan equivalent of "all mouth and no trousers"
      February 13, 2017 2:58 AM MST

• My pleasure. :)
      February 13, 2017 3:21 AM MST

Makes a change from hodden grey. 
      February 13, 2017 2:59 AM MST