Active Now

Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Humor and Jokes » What's your favourite Spoonerism?

What's your favourite Spoonerism?

Dr William Spooner was a lecturer at New College, Oxford. He is remembered, not for his scholarship, but for his ha bit of exchange the opening letter/s of two words. 

Adlai Stevenson didn't mind adding a little humour to his comments. Once when he was attacked by Protestant minister, Norman Vincent Peale, he said, "I find the apostle Paul appealing and the apostle Peale appalling."

Lincoln didn't mind wordplay either and once wrote, "He said he was riding bass-ackwards on a jass-ack through a patton-crotch." (Work it out.)

Some are quite rude and very funny but I can't post them here. Do YOU have some favourites?

Posted - February 17, 2017

Responses

• "LALL IN FOVE" ... cracks me up every time! 

February 17, 2017 9:21 PM MST

• Goood one. I hope they're not gonna lallin fove with each other, though. :(
      February 17, 2017 9:41 PM MST

• No problem.  The guy with his back to us is Johnny Cash ... (spoken for)  :)
      February 17, 2017 10:04 PM MST

• I'd never have picked him, even in the black shirt.
      February 17, 2017 10:12 PM MST

• I was trying to find a better picture of Archie Campbell, but I couldn't find one I liked ... (because the Lall in fove is his ... I think) :)
      February 17, 2017 10:17 PM MST

• Hi Didge!
    Well for your Q I went directly to William A. himself, who is supposed to have said "He was killed by a blushing crow."
    He is also credited with "We'll have all the hags flung out," which I rather especially appreciate since I am now myself well north of seventy years... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 18, 2017 1:13 AM MST
      February 17, 2017 10:45 PM MST

• Welcome to AnswerMug, Virginial. I hope you enjoy your stay! :)
      February 17, 2017 11:43 PM MST

• Thank you Alf, I am glad to meet you.
      February 17, 2017 11:53 PM MST

• My pleasure. Most any of the members are willing to try and answer any questions that you might have or under the "Home" icon is a FAQS section that tries to do the same thing. Have fun. :)
      February 18, 2017 12:14 AM MST

• Two fine examples, Virginia. If you answer my questions it might be long before I respond since I don't receive notifications for most of them. A couple of times a day I check to see if anybody has visited. :)
      February 18, 2017 1:13 AM MST