Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Language » Can people be possessed by Grammar Demons?

Can people be possessed by Grammar Demons?

Inspired both by the following question and by my answer to it:

http://answermug.com/forums/topic/23968/have-you-ever-been-possessed-or-inhabited/view/post_id/200218/page/1
~

Posted - February 26, 2017

Responses

Again, Randy, it's spelled 'fer' not 'fir'.
      February 26, 2017 1:22 PM MST

• I think the pressure is finally taking its toll.
      February 26, 2017 1:31 PM MST

Lol, you're right, you got me. 

I've just edited it. 

:)
      February 26, 2017 1:35 PM MST

I was trying to come up with a "mike drop" answer, so I did a little research...

Read the following from https://esoterx.com/2014/08/21/proofread-your-satanic-pact-demons-are-grammar-nazis/

"During a 1632-1638 epidemic of possession of Ursuline nuns at a convent of Loudun in Poitou-Charentes region of western France, it became necessary to exorcise the Mother Abbess, who’s demon clearly had a better grasp of Latin syntax than his exorcists, who mocked an apparent grammatical error on the part of the devil, that is, until the lead exorcist Father Barre pointed out that technically, while undoubtedly diabolical, the possessing demon was actually syntactically correct."

February 26, 2017 1:37 PM MST

• Clever! But, Tom, how the heck did you find it? 
      February 26, 2017 2:09 PM MST

I searched with the phrase "grammar demons" and picked what sounded like an interesting link...Just luck I guess.
      February 26, 2017 2:16 PM MST

• Yes indeed, they are well known. Their names are Orobas, Corson and Damon. 

These three succubi haunt the dreams of men WHO dream of 19th century schoolmasters, gowned and mortar-boarded, wielding long canes as they pound the rules of grammar into recalcitrant schoolboys. Until they are exorcised thee three overrun the minds of the possessed who spend their days watching the lips of their interlocutors waiting for the merest grammatical lapse so that they can pounce and correct it. 

Now that we have entered the age of the Internet Orobas, Corson and Damon are gleefully working their mischief around the globe, claiming victims by the thousands. 

The good news is that they can be exorcised by repeating their names a thousand times. But, since it would take so long to keep repeating Orobas, Corson, Damon, it is sufficient use their initials. OCD, OCD, OCD...
      February 26, 2017 2:21 PM MST

---Bazinga...(Sheldon Cooper)...

Did I mention my first wife (dead now if that is not a contradiction) was a succubus?....

But she wasn't particularly good at grammar---or saying much that made sense, period.....

This post was edited by tom jackson at February 26, 2017 2:30 PM MST
      February 26, 2017 2:28 PM MST

• She may have been shy on conversation but those succubi have a great aptitude for things connubial. :)
      February 26, 2017 2:31 PM MST

Not really, but she certainly screwed me in the end.
      February 26, 2017 2:43 PM MST

probably but im not one of them
      February 26, 2017 2:58 PM MST