Discussion » Questions » Communication » Have you ever had to communicate through an interpreter?

Have you ever had to communicate through an interpreter?

What was the most difficult aspect -- the language, the culture, the interpreter getting the wrong slant, or something else?

Posted - March 2, 2017

Responses

We had to use one once in Nicaragua. (Didn't know enough Spanish)  I think our most difficult thing was feeling stupid LOL  He was s 14 year old school boy, who went to school in the mornings, and got afternoons off (so others could go to school in the afternoons) and he spoke Spanish, English, French, German and one other language (possibly Portuguese). It was very hard trying to talk to someone, but knowing they did not understand, and having to wait for the interpreter to ask and answer for us.  We learned enough Spanish after that so we could get along in Spanish speaking countries.
      March 2, 2017 5:51 PM MST

• Interesting experience, and a very smart boy. He sounds like the sort of kid who would go places.
      March 2, 2017 5:55 PM MST

Yes, and I wish I had learned other languages when I was young, It is so much easier when you are that age. They should start teaching everyone a second language as soon as they start school.
      March 2, 2017 6:00 PM MST

• I had a little schoolboy French but not enough for a conversation. I've never needed a second language -- I've never lived in an area where it might be beneficial and had I taken the trouble to learn it it would have fallen away through lack of use. 
      March 2, 2017 6:02 PM MST

• "Technically no" ... but when I was just beginning to get into CB radio,
     my daughter helped me a lot so that I'd know what the heck they were talking about. :)
      March 2, 2017 6:08 PM MST

• Love it. :)
      March 2, 2017 8:24 PM MST

1. Houston is a very diverse city. You hear all kinds of languages, most speak English as well. 
    2. I remember going to the museum once and tried to speak to some people from China. This one lady had her daughter and she couldn't speak English at all. I speak no Chinese, but am fascinated with it. 
    3. Another time we had visitors from Japan at our school district and I was invited to be one of the hosts. That was fun. I did listen to those educators speak to each other in Japanese, but English with us. 
    4. I've heard Dutch lots of times, Vietnamese, Spanish from Columbia and Nicaragua. Etc. 
    5. What was difficult was going to Mexico City. I didn't understand the signs at the airport or riding around town. People do not stop at a red light. I think a red light is a suggestion. Stop,  if you want. The traffic was crazy. The food was different. There was no ice because you can't drink their water unless it is bottled. 
    6. Mexico City has way more culture than Texas, that's for sure. Their Aztec and Maya influence is evident, as well as colonial Spanish. I loved everything about Mexico City, including its volcano. 
      March 2, 2017 8:12 PM MST

• That's all great, Marguerite, especially the account of Mexico City. There's an area in our far north where the traffic moves like that. You take your life in your hands every time you hit the road.
      March 2, 2017 8:27 PM MST

I keep trying to find someone who can help me communicate in English.

~
      March 2, 2017 9:58 PM MST

• The Queen's English or American English?
      March 2, 2017 10:13 PM MST

• Back about 1990 when PCs were just beginning to make their way into offices a consultant for our company bought an English-Japanese translating device. It was a little like an MP3 player but not as advanced. He couldn't make it work and since I was the only person on staff who knew anything about PCs they gave it to me to work out. He was deflated when I told him it could only translate about 100 phrases, none of which would help him in his business dealings with the Japanese.

Things have improved so much Randy that we can now supply you with a device to help you communicate in English. It's called a spell checker and you can even have a grammar checer to go with it. It'll work a lot better than our consultant's gizmo.
      March 2, 2017 10:16 PM MST

Woo new?
    ~
      March 3, 2017 4:54 AM MST