Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Walking along, you see a spider on the sidewalk, do you make an effort to step on it, or simply leave it alone?

Walking along, you see a spider on the sidewalk, do you make an effort to step on it, or simply leave it alone?

As long as it's outside, I make an effort to let it survive, even if it means helping to move it along to a safer place. 

Posted - March 6, 2017

Responses

I won't even kill them if they're in my house. I either leave them alone or capture them and put them outside. They keep the more annoying bugs away so I won't have to kill them myself.
      March 6, 2017 6:00 AM MST

• The only ones I bother to kill are Black Widows. Of which we get plenty of in the hot Summer. They get in the house also. I don't bother with any other spiders though.
      March 6, 2017 6:05 AM MST

• Yes, indeed that would scare the hell out of me. I would take the long way around .. lol
      March 6, 2017 7:08 AM MST

• You make an effort to let it survive? Why is it an effort not to kill something? I don't understand.
    It's like saying 'I make an effort not to kick someone in the shins and let them go unkicked, simply because they are standing on the pavement and for no other reason'.
    Unless it has its legs around my jugular I'm fine with it.
      March 6, 2017 6:18 AM MST

Move it so it's less likely to get stepped on. I like spiders, mainly because they eat mosquitoes which frankly terrify me. They're the main vectors for a multitude of deadly pathogens.
      March 6, 2017 6:32 AM MST

I try not to kill any of Nature's unless they are harmful to me. I have been bitten by spiders five times in this house, but suffered no ill effects.
      March 6, 2017 7:05 AM MST

i leave it at home unless its hanging out at my place
      March 6, 2017 9:29 AM MST

• I wouldn't kill bugs outside unless they were crawling on me. In the house, though, it's war. 
      March 6, 2017 10:13 AM MST

Nope...I don't harm spiders.....I'm not fond of them one little bit.  But I'll walk a mile to avoid them....
      March 6, 2017 1:39 PM MST

• I got to work one morning to find one of the girls shrieking because there was a spider on her desk. I rescued it and dropped it into a shrub. And STILL she shrieked because it wasn't dead. Some of these women are such murderous creatures. Pretty, but deadly. ;-)
      March 6, 2017 2:18 PM MST