Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Some people lie because they can with no apparent benefit to them from having told the lie. Is that a game with them? If not what is it?

Some people lie because they can with no apparent benefit to them from having told the lie. Is that a game with them? If not what is it?

Posted - March 21, 2017

Responses

it might be a game to them
      March 21, 2017 1:49 PM MDT

• Yes. A game and a fun or necessary one.  Fun aspect.  I speak to my Mom usually once a week. She might inquire what I had for supper.  If I had fish I say pasta.  If pasta, fish.  Just to tell a lie and feel cool (smug) I got away with it.   Necessary aspect.  Store clerks and counter help lie all day pretending they are so ecstatic and filled with joy to wait on customers. 
      March 21, 2017 2:51 PM MDT

I can't pretend for any length of time and pull it off whistle. That's why I don't lie. I am very bad at it. I do understand why people lie to save their butts when they do something wrong and aren't brave enough to take the heat. I get that. I don't do that but I get it.  But lying just because you can? Makes no sense to me unless one cannot differentiate between lies and truth. I think most folks know the difference but maybe some get so invested in lies they believe them. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 23, 2017 7:06 AM MDT