Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Can you think of any anachronisms from TV or movies?

Can you think of any anachronisms from TV or movies?

Did Charlton Heston really wear a wrist watch in Ben Hur?

Posted - March 27, 2017

Responses

• Forrest Gump’s galumphing through 20th-century history took him to the Vietnam War, into President Kennedy’s White House, and into the orbit of Apple. Lieutenant Dan invested Gump’s shrimping money into the future tech behemoth, which would make Gump a millionaire if he still had the stock today. (And if he were, you know, real.) Except it looks like Lieutenant Dan got swindled; the letter Gump received from Apple thanking him for his investment is dated 1975, but Apple didn’t go public until 1980.

Legend: Charlton Heston is wearing a watch during the chariot race

Background: In a monumental continuity error, Heston can be seen wearing a watch in one shot during the race.

The camera angle then switches, and the watch is gone again.

True or False: False

Legend Explained: After closely watching the scene, we see no evidence of a watch anywhere about Heston’s person.

In the DVD commentary, Heston himself explains that he was wearing leather braces right up to the elbow on both arms during the entire race.

Other continuity-error rumours claim that one of the trumpeteers around the edge of the track is also wearing a wristwatch.

It does look like one of the trumpeters has something on his wrist, though it may just be a shadow.

March 27, 2017 6:33 AM MDT

• Thanks for both, Rooster. I completely missed that bit about the dates for Apple.  And thanks for clearing up the Ben Hur myth.
      March 27, 2017 1:17 PM MDT

How could The Scarecrow do anything at all that he did in that movie if he had no brain?

:)

(I know - - I know - - that's not really what you're asking)

:)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 22, 2019 9:05 PM MDT
      May 22, 2019 9:04 PM MDT