Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Why is Trump undoing everything that former President Barack Obama has helped put together?

Why is Trump undoing everything that former President Barack Obama has helped put together?

https://secure.politico.com/story/2017/03/donald-trump-obama-climate-change-policies-236570

Today Trump signs an executive order directing federal agencies to stop reducing the carbon pollution of electric utilities, oil and gas drillers, and coal miners. It instructs:

1. The EPA to rewrite tough rules that now make it impossible to build a new coal-fired power plant.

2. The Interior Department to end Obama’s moratorium on new coal mines on federal lands, among other steps. Trump’s order will resume federal coal leasing.

3. All federal regulators to stop using the “social cost of carbon,” which attempts to quantify the effects of climate change, in economic analyses of future rules.

But hardliners and moderates in the White House couldn't agree on some things:

1. Trump won’t tell the EPA to reconsider the underlying policy that lets it regulate carbon emissions — the 2009 “endangerment finding” in which the EPA declared that greenhouse gas pollution threatens human health and welfare.

2. Nor does today's order address whether the U.S. will stay in the 2015 Paris climate accord.

3. And the order is silent on a carbon tax, another issue that has become a flash point in disputes between moderates and hard-liners in the White House.

Bottom line: Trump wants to destroy the planet's environment only partly. Perhaps we should be grateful?

Posted - March 28, 2017

Responses

Because one of his campaign promises was that he would undo everything that Obama did. 
      March 28, 2017 10:00 AM MDT

• Because that's how politics works in this country. Every four or eight years we "undo everything". Politics is an oscillation between two "sides" who feel the other side destroys the country. So presidents make it their business to undo everything of their predecessor and replace it with often very similar things just under a different name to keep their constituents happy. 

The more I observe this farce in action the more disillusioned I become, that's for sure. 
      March 28, 2017 10:13 AM MDT

maybe hes jealous and wants to be the one putting it together
      March 28, 2017 3:52 PM MDT

I know - you cannot imagine how awful I find that - I am an environmentalist to my very core... it pains me that someone should be so callous and careless with the environment :( 
      March 28, 2017 4:21 PM MDT

I don't know, Zack - Mr.GenXer.

I think I've long stopped trying to figure some things out.

(Though many people I assume are happy to see Trump doing his thing, including Tweeting about everything in the universe, real or unreal.) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at March 29, 2017 8:58 AM MDT
      March 28, 2017 7:04 PM MDT

Because Trump is a despicable human being.
      March 28, 2017 10:46 PM MDT

You are right about that.
      March 29, 2017 8:57 AM MDT

Because he want's to kill off anyone who is not rich and in big business.
      March 29, 2017 8:57 AM MDT