Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Why would anyone, aside from family and friends, care what you think?

Why would anyone, aside from family and friends, care what you think?

Posted - April 9, 2017

Responses

You just gave reason why many seek power.
      April 10, 2017 12:06 AM MDT

Out of curiosity? Hmm.
      April 10, 2017 4:18 AM MDT

Very true, but if we are curious we would probably ask.

I was thinking more about people who impose their opinions on us.
      April 10, 2017 8:58 PM MDT

There will be different takes on this. To me personally, the what motivates them to impose will be vital for how I will take it. There will be a few who I honestly and sincerely would be listening to, those reaching out because they can see I am struggling with something on my mind. It was in fact how I met my ex. I did not make it easy for her, and still don't know why she stayed listening to my crap back at her. It made me however interested to learn and understand her way of thinking. She did teach me a lot, and influenced me how I am today. :-)
      April 11, 2017 2:30 AM MDT

Because people care what other people think. So much so that people will try to control the thoughts of people they don't even know and will probably never know. We hear it all the time: "I don't care what people think," but it's yet another lie people tell themselves.

Everyone cares what someone thinks. If all the people who claimed to be unmoved by what other people think actually practiced that, possessions wouldn't be symbols of status, education wouldn't exist, nor would news papers, television or the internet. These are more than useful tools or necessities, they offer instant access to the thoughts of others or serve to elicit the thoughts of others.
      April 10, 2017 8:02 AM MDT

You are right, I care what a lot of people think...but not too much. There are a lot of people that I really don't care what most people think tho because if I did, I'd never do anything out of the ordinary or anything that might offend someone.

Possessions are essentials and tools for future progress for me, not status symbols. Education , in one form or another, must always exist and I would not watch the news or read a newspaper unless I wanted to have a bad day. I do obviously use the internet and read books tho. 

Obviously you are correct tho, the majority of the people see the world that way and are always looking to 'fit in' and seek approval of others. I much prefer a person bold enough to take a more narrow road. To care what a stranger thinks, for example someone at a table next to you in a restaurant that you'll never see again, is a bit ridiculous. To care what people think who have an impact on one's life is quite natural I'd say.
      April 10, 2017 9:09 PM MDT

Well, I wasn't really directing it at you specifically, just generally it's something I've noticed.

The more I consider the things mentioned in my second paragraph the more I realize that all of them are examples of some people feeding at the trough of other peoples regurgitated thoughts. There is nothing worse than seeing someone who truly believes something yet can't for the life of them explain why. lol You know? Often it's because a lot of other people think that too. I see that as a common theme in our world and it's truly disheartening.

Like you, I try to think for myself and *don't place a high value on the superficial. I care what people think to the extent that we occupy the same world and finding common ground makes coexistence more harmonious. I try not to dismiss peoples thinking outright just because it's different than mine. I actually enjoy hearing peoples thinking on a variety of topics. I find it difficult to understand human thought and behavior at times, listening to others makes it easier to understand why humans do what they do--or at least why they think they do what they do--which baffles me to no end at times.

But yes, it can certainly be take to extremes. I suspect that varies greatly based on the individual. For example, some are extremely sensitive to bullying or demeaning behavior where others are completely impervious to it. We're all "drunk on the juice of belonging" to some degree, some are just more intoxicated than others :)

This post was edited by ForkNdaRoad at April 11, 2017 9:11 AM MDT
      April 11, 2017 9:03 AM MDT

Aye, indeed, but some care way more than others.
      April 10, 2017 10:14 PM MDT

And some way less. Like I said above, the degree to which a person cares varies greatly on an individual basis. But broadly, we all care in some way and for some reason. Although, many humans are unaware of even their own motives, much less those of others. We have the ability to acknowledge that we do or don't care and at the same time be complete dishonest with self about why. That on its own make this an incredibly difficult question to answer. lol
      April 11, 2017 9:06 AM MDT

Bad things happen when they don't...
      April 10, 2017 10:04 AM MDT

Good things also happen when they don't.

We are all conditioned to care too much. Obviously we should care but maybe a little less.
      April 10, 2017 9:11 PM MDT

because they are insane.
      April 10, 2017 7:21 PM MDT

A lot of truth here.
      April 10, 2017 9:11 PM MDT