Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Are you as interested in knowing what people don't know as you are in what they do? How does knowing what they don't know help YOU?

Are you as interested in knowing what people don't know as you are in what they do? How does knowing what they don't know help YOU?

You ask a question and you get "I don't know". How does that help you to know what you don't know too? How does knowing what they don't know increase YOUR knowledge? Is not knowing as valuable as knowing? How and Why?

Posted - April 28, 2017

Responses

They don't know I'm going to hit them with a right when they thought it would be a left and so leaned into it helping in the knockout.
      April 28, 2017 7:33 AM MDT

You enjoy physical engagement? Can you hit them with a right when they thought it would be a left verbally/figuratively or MUST it be literally?  Thank you for your reply. Your response has nothing to do with the question I asked O but it was entertaining albeit in an entirely different ballpark. ! :)
      April 28, 2017 3:34 PM MDT

• Didn't take long to see you in a clear light. Yes this is a Q&A, but for the sake of a fun site, learn to laugh a little, including at yourself. It's all good! Who knows, you might get more and better replies :)

April 28, 2017 8:46 AM MDT

Well, here's a specific response, probably not "generalize-able."

I've done a lot of tutoring over the years---started doing it in high school.

Obviously, the better able I am to understand what they don't know, the quicker I am able to help them.

I also tend to use that approach on Q & A sites---comments on my posts tell me much about what the commenter thinks, believes, knows, and doesn't know.  Certain (course) prerequisites are required to be able to understand how to use various advanced concepts (the square root of -1, for example).

It is an unfortunate truism that not all opinions are correct 
      April 28, 2017 10:05 AM MDT

Correct according to whom? You mean factually correct? Provable? Irrefutable? Opinions are not facts tom. They are not held to the same standard as truth. However for an opinion to be useful it must be logical/plausible/possible. A question has bee born on your turf. Thanks!
      April 28, 2017 3:37 PM MDT

That's somewhere else that we might differ, Rosie.  I think that truth actually exists and is the proper object of study.  Aristotle opined that the human mind is a machine for coming to conclusions.  The fact that we humans can hold such contradictory opinions about reality suggests that all opinions are not equal.  Nor do I find "truth" to be so elusive as some seem to think it is.  

If a supreme being (God or Whoever) does in fact exist, (S)He does so with or without our permission or majority vote.  And I will add practicable to your triumvirate of adjectives---and while that the speed of light as a constant flies in the face of logic, I will admit logicality is useful.

Unfortunately, logic will not tell you whether the conclusions upon which you build your syllogisms are based on accurate premises.
      April 29, 2017 10:02 AM MDT

it does sound interesting but that might be hard to find out
      April 28, 2017 3:40 PM MDT