Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Food Stamps and Medicaid are on the chopping block in the Emperor's budget. Still think he gives a rat's a** about YOU? Why?

Food Stamps and Medicaid are on the chopping block in the Emperor's budget. Still think he gives a rat's a** about YOU? Why?

Posted - May 22, 2017

Responses

Let's get this straight. I'm not a fan of Der Fuhrer and the House and/or Senate says it won't pass it as it stands, but then again they are liars. This post was edited by Zack at May 22, 2017 10:36 AM MDT
      May 22, 2017 10:16 AM MDT

Those in the "no brain" continuum will always stand by what they believe.

What they believe is a made-up story about what a GOD Trump is.   He demands loyalty.  He has a horde of untold millions who back anything he thinks says or does because, after all he made so much money in his life, he must know what he is doing.

That is all that they say in his defense.  Like no one else has made money.  Most people who have run for president have at least earned some of it.  Not this pig.  It doesn't matter.  He loves the uneducated and now you can see clearly WHY. 
      May 22, 2017 10:25 AM MDT

Except for the few who are enlightened human beings, ALL POLS prefer that their constituents be ignorant at the very least and stupid best case. They are so much easier to fool/bamboozle/control/brainwash that way. Thinking human beings are not their cuppa tea. And so it goes. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Sharonna and Happy Monday!  :)
      May 22, 2017 10:39 AM MDT

True dat! Thank you for your reply Zack and Happy Monday! :)
      May 22, 2017 10:36 AM MDT

he dont sound like he cares at all, im on all that
      May 22, 2017 4:34 PM MDT

• I know someone who is on Medicaid but still manages to have a cleaning lady and a manicure every week so yes Medicaid does need trimming.
      May 22, 2017 8:39 PM MDT

I'd be curious to know what guidelines those fall under and what state the person is in- that makes a difference too. My mom started out in Wisconsin and they did take pretty good care of her. She was offered unrestricted physical therapy and they would have paid for her teeth to get fixed. I couldn't manage her care from Arizona, so I moved here... they think she should be totally recovered from post-stroke paralysis in a matter of visits and they won't pay for the dental work she needs. She's allowed to keep roughly $100 of what social security sends her each month, but about 1/3 goes just to bed pads, which are not a covered benefit. Sure, they'll pay for disposable briefs, but only the kind that leak the moment liquid touches them. I wind up paying for the bulk of her hygiene supplies and other needs because her money doesn't go far enough, and I'll likely have to pay thousands to get her teeth done. Money I don't have and don't know where I'll get it from.

If your friend can afford a "cleaning lady," I suspect it's because of in-home health coverage, and having that "cleaning lady" come in enables him to live alone. The cost savings of keeping someone at home, versus living in a residence is astronomical. It probably saves the system thousands each month that he can have that service. As for the manicures, what are we talking, $10 a visit? $40 per month. If spending that each month out of the $100 or so they're allowed to keep makes them feel better, more power to them. For a lot of our disabled and elderly, they don't even feel a kind touch- ever. That is bad for overall health. Getting conversation, a gentle touch, and feeling good about themself (all leads to better health) for a few bucks a week- I'm all for it.

Until you live that life or are affected by it, you can't possibly know the hardships associated with it. Medicaid covers very basic needs, and it doesn't cover enough as it is. The limitations mean my mom has stopped progressing because she no longer has physical therapy. If they'd been willing to pay for it, she could have lived largely independently. Instead, she will likely need a caregiver 100% of the time for the rest of her life- way to go, bureaucrats. Some cost savings you managed there. 
      May 23, 2017 10:34 AM MDT

• She lives in Tennessee.  She's not disabled or elderly she could very easily do her own housework, in fact she's a neat freak and complains about the standards of the cleaning lady, she did have a difficult time after she divorced her husband  but she's certainly not starving and she does have a very nice home, she has a wide circle of friends and I suspect that most don't know that she's receiving Medicaid. I don't know how much she pays for manicures. Obviously I don't know the hardships of others but I do know that in her case she has a comfortable life. I have no idea what the guidelines are in Tennessee and I have to say it does puzzle me how she manages to qualify for Medicaid but I can assure you she does and I was shocked when she told me. 

I was reading an article on Food Stamps where a cashier in Target was commenting that many of the people know just how to milk the system so that they get cash back when they make a purchase.  I believe many, many people do need help with food stamps but like Medicaid and Medicare there is much abuse of the system which detracts from the people who are really in need.  A hospital I used to go to in Texas for regular biopsies closed because the doctor owners were caught in Medicare fraud and I think Medicare too is very often abused.  It seems an overhaul of all of these systems are long overdue.

I can understand that you've had a very difficult time with your mother and that it makes you angry when you hear about abuse of the system when you've had to struggle to get help but you can't discount the fact that abuse of the system does happen and happens frequently.
      May 23, 2017 1:07 PM MDT

It is very, very difficult to qualify for medicaid and for food stamps here. They check your income, runs scans for bank accounts and get recent statements from you. If you're trying to qualify based on disability, it's much more difficult, as you have to prove the disability and get signed off by doctors. Just coming from Wisconsin, my mom did not qualify for benefits in Arizona. Wisconsin knew and agreed she was disabled, but AZ made us go through all the same steps again and denied her once. It took nine months to get her qualified for help. It was a nightmare. There are fraud checks in place and they hurt people who belong on the programs.

Milking the system for food stamps? I'd like to see a link to that. Cash assistance and food stamps are different programs. Cash assistance is very limited and short-term. You have to jump through hoops for food stamps too. I can't think of a way it's possible to get cash back when purchasing food, unless the person is getting rebates or something. At the same time, the amount available for food stamps is pretty limited. Here, the most a person can qualify for is less and $200/ mo. or just over $6 day. Doable if you live on mac 'n cheese and cereal. But, let's say you have a family of four. The benefit amount per person actually goes down. It's $649 per month- just $5.40 per day per person. If you've got a family of four who qualifies for full benefits, they're not bringing in much cash, if any, and, they've got rent (no benefits to help them), utilities (some emergency services available), vehicles/ gas (no benefits available), OTC meds (no benefits available), etc. Families really struggle with buying hygiene supplies- particularly feminine hygiene supplies and diapers. Where do they get that money from when there are no support services?

I read an article a while back about how expensive/ difficult it is to live in poverty that really hit home the point. A person has a minimum wage job and goes to work daily, but that covers very modest living expenses and they can't afford to set aside savings. The person blows a tire on the way to work and can't get it fixed due to cost. They lose their job. Then, their home. It snowballs. Our society is broken. I hate fraud as much as the next person, but the people who commit it are few and far between. The ones who get hurt are the ones who need the services. Shoot- dental care for adults isn't even covered here. There was a story a while back about a guy who got a tooth abscess. He couldn't afford treatment, so he was given an rx for pain medicine and an antibiotic. He could only afford one. He chose poorly and treated the pain. He died. From a tooth infection. In a modern country. That's what needs to stop. We aren't taking care of our own people. I'm willing to accept a certain amount of fraud will happen if we can make resources available for people like the guy who died of a tooth ache, the girl who lost her job and home from a tire blowing out, the mom who can't go to work because she's on her period and can't get supplies, the babies who sit in soiled diapers because their parents have to ration them out. In a country that's supposed to be so great- there's no excuse for this. None. It's unacceptable. Sure, fraud is a problem, but how we're treating the poor and vulnerable is a way bigger problem, imo.
      May 23, 2017 1:44 PM MDT

As far as getting cash back while using Food Stamps that does not happen anymore... because the stamps are on a card. If someone is getting cash back with the electronic benefits card, it is because they also receive a cash benefit. But no one gets their change back from food stamps in cash anymore, that was back in the days of paper food stamps.

My state also does not cover adult dental unless pregnant. I think they should if you qualify for Medicaid (very hard for an adult in my state)

https://www.tn.gov/tenncare/article/tenncare-medicaid

http://www.itennesseefoodstamps.com/how-much-will-i-get-in-food-stamps-in-tennessee/
      May 23, 2017 3:00 PM MDT

That's what I thought, M2C... on the cash/ stamps thing. I know that's how it is here, so I figured whoever wrote the article didn't understand cash benefits or had some old/ bad info.
      May 23, 2017 5:41 PM MDT