Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » President Donald Trump held the door open to a reversal of his decision to pull the United States out of the Paris climate accord Thursday

President Donald Trump held the door open to a reversal of his decision to pull the United States out of the Paris climate accord Thursday

Posted - July 14, 2017

Responses

Its what you are supposed to do. Hold out until you get the conditions you want. Fair deal or No deal. If it goes well it will mark the difference between this administration and previous ones. The U.S is no longer an easy lay. This post was edited by O-uknow at July 21, 2017 6:21 AM MDT
      July 14, 2017 7:30 AM MDT

WHAT?

You have got to be kidding with this one.

WHAT THE HELL TERMS DOES HE WANT?  

He wants attention.  He knows absolutely NOTHING about this issue.  Just like he knows zilch about health care.

"I'm hearing from a lot of people both ways," he said as he met with Vietnam's prime minister in the Oval Office.
    The precise mechanism for withdrawal hasn't yet been determined, and White House officials cautioned the plans could change until Trump makes his decision public. Language for the withdrawal was still being prepared Wednesday, and will likely include specific legal conditions crafted by Trump's administration.
    In conversations over the past week, Trump has made clear he plans to fulfill his campaign promises to withdraw from the carbon reduction agreement, citing negative effects on jobs in the areas where he won a large percentage of the vote, including states in the Rust Belt and the western plains.
    But Trump has changed his mind in the past on major issues, and was still speaking to opponents of withdrawal even as his team prepared an announcement. He is set to meet Wednesday afternoon with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who supports remaining in the agreement. On Tuesday, Trump met with a key voice advocating for withdrawal, Environmental Protection Agency administrator Scott Pruitt.
    Trump signals he's ready to exit Paris climate accord, but decision not final
    Trump signals he's ready to exit Paris climate accord, but decision not final
    Speaking Wednesday, press secretary Sean Spicer said he wasn't sure whether Trump had made a final decision on withdrawing from the Paris agreement.
    "I obviously don't know whether he's made it," Spicer said during an afternoon briefing. "When the President has a decision he will make that announcement and he will make it clear what the basis of that is."

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 14, 2017 4:36 PM MDT
      July 14, 2017 7:32 AM MDT

You got the spin you asked for ;)
      July 14, 2017 7:49 AM MDT

Yep.  I'm spinning. I'm reeling, actually!!!!!

July 14, 2017 7:50 AM MDT

Maybe he wants the accord to be binding on everyone. Maybe he wants the USA to not have to pay $100 million a year to countries that will not stop polluting. Maybe he wants all countries to have to abide at the same time rather than get 10 year deferments.

The original treaty was only binding on the USA.

Stupid agreement to begin with. Now maybe a real working treaty can be developed.
      July 14, 2017 8:13 AM MDT

Maybe he wants ATTENTION.

That is all he ever wants.  He doesn't have a passing acquaintance with climate change or how to handle one dime of anything the USA is supposedly having to pay.

It is a lot cheaper than having to pay the price of the world disintegrating.  If we are covering the asses of other polluting countries, we must do so in order to keep things from getting worse at present.   Are you trying to tell me China is paying less for the same benefits?

I doubt it highly.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 14, 2017 8:19 AM MDT
      July 14, 2017 8:17 AM MDT

There is no supposedly about it. If you read the agreement the USA was committed to pay$100 million to other countries as well as pay for our own commitments. Russia, China and India got a pass on doing anything for 10 years. Nothing in the agreement was binding on any country. It was a joke of an agreement just to say "We did something". Only the ones that did not read and understand the agreement believe it was a workable treaty.

It would have cost the USA a ton of money and nothing would have gotten better.
    China does not care about pollution. As Mao said "if we loose 100 million people that is not going to hurt us". Bejing is so polluted you cannot see down the street on some days.
    Russia is still dealing with Chernobyl.
    India has very little pollution control on the factories or farming. They are only interested in feeding the billion people they have.
      July 14, 2017 8:32 AM MDT

Um you have some good thoughts here, Deaves, indeed. But I need to really read what you are saying.  I know this has to be full of holes, and I don't have time to pick it apart right now.  I will get back to you on this tonight. I'm interested in the opposition and what it says about Trump's nutty decisions regarding this amazingly ill-conceived faux pas of his.
      July 14, 2017 9:46 AM MDT

Mao???? seriously? DO you know how long ago it was that Mao was in charge?? Your info needs updating re China and their role in their commitment to climate change, their actions re climate change, their drastically reduced birth rate now, their success and influence on the world stage now, and just about everything else too. They ARE world leaders now re climate change, since Trump weaseled out of the agreement and lost yet another chunk of respect in the world arena.  I suspect the only reason Trump is trying to get back in is because he realised how thoroughly unpopular he is internationally and how bad he makes America look.
      July 14, 2017 4:43 PM MDT

Just look at Bejing's air. China has vast areas that are contaminated. They closed factories during the Olympics so the air would clear for the TV cameras.

If China is the leader then the world is doomed.
      July 21, 2017 6:23 AM MDT

I've been giving them a clue They just won't be rational. They are more interested in HATE for Trump than love of country. At least Trump knows not to listen to them and may he keep doing what he is doing. This post was edited by O-uknow at July 14, 2017 9:05 AM MDT
      July 14, 2017 9:03 AM MDT

Yes.  Covering his slimy ass with some pathetic attempt at publicity.

That is what this is.   He could give a great speech on why he is holding out.  But he doesn't even know WHY he is holding out.  He doesn't know any more than you two know.  This is just your attempt at being CONSERVATIVE.  LOL
      July 14, 2017 9:48 AM MDT

I agree with you. The LL have drank the Kool-Aid and there is no going back. The real objective is to reduce the standing of the USA in the world and to weaken our economy.

July 14, 2017 12:39 PM MDT

You don't need the LL - Trump is doing a great job of making war more likely, (yet another disasterous war that further erodes respect for the US) and in getting up everyone's nose with his two-faced lies and back tacking.. Trump is almost universally disrespected and disapproved of round the world.. this IS affecting AMerica's standing in the world and eroding still further their position. .

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/6/27/15876822/trump-global-opinion-pew-2017

However, if the Trumpet supporters prefer to bury their head in the sand and believe in cloud cuckoo land where they still believe that America leads the world.. then so be it.. we can just sit and watch and say I told you so.. not that lessons are ever learned 
      July 14, 2017 4:49 PM MDT

Factually incorrect. Not sure where you got your info from but simply it's incorrect.. the US doesn't pay anyone for polluting.. DO remember that the US is still one of the worse polluters.. and China, who were a major polluter are now in the lead... ahead of the US..  The treaty is binding on everyone that's the point.. 
      July 14, 2017 4:39 PM MDT

You need to read the non-binding treaty not listen to the new media as what is in it.
    The treaty is clearly non-binding. Russia and China are not held to the same start date. They got a ten year reprieve and would not have to start till 2024.

July 21, 2017 6:14 AM MDT

Treaty? Didn't realize that 2/3's of the Senate ratified the accord? No 2/3's "thumbs up" from the Senate, no treaty. 
      July 15, 2017 8:23 AM MDT

Seriously? I do find it amusing that the Trump believers will find any and every excuse to explain his appalling record so far and his appalling behaviour.. So here we have another example of him backtracking... rightly so... as he was definitely wrong on this one.. and still people find excuses..   They said firmly when he refused to sign that there can be no negotiations.. it is what it is.. the environment and climate change are what they are.. and the US is still one of the biggest polluters.. so sorry the deal was always fair.. stamping his little feet and storming off in a huff won't change that... 
      July 14, 2017 4:36 PM MDT

Covering his ass. This one was more unpopular than he predicted, so he's giving himself an escape route.
      July 14, 2017 7:42 AM MDT

Haven't caught up on recent news. Sounds like Macron must have told Trump he liked his tie or hairdo. And that he thinks this is another episode of his reality show.
      July 14, 2017 10:07 AM MDT

not sure whats going on with that to be honest
      July 14, 2017 2:44 PM MDT