Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Recreation » How accurate are the "fast-draw McGraw" hipshooter potshotters compared to those who calmly take aim, focus on the target, shoot?

How accurate are the "fast-draw McGraw" hipshooter potshotters compared to those who calmly take aim, focus on the target, shoot?

Posted - September 6, 2017

Responses

• "It's probably almost even, but almost can get you dead."

September 6, 2017 3:41 AM MDT

Holy crap.
      September 6, 2017 7:33 AM MDT

• That's what I thought!!
      September 6, 2017 7:35 AM MDT

Woooo
      September 6, 2017 7:38 AM MDT

The hipshooter is less accurate than the shooter who take aim.

But not neccesarily as much as we assume. Hand-Eye coordination can be trained and if you spend all your time training you can get it up closer to the aimed hit rate. Youth matter a lot here, you need to start at about age 12.

And of course careful aim can also be trained ;-))

The main advantage is that the hip-shooter can fire off a full clip of ammunition in the same time it takes the careful aimer to get off one shot. Even if the hip-shooters chance of hitting is only 1:5 with each shot that still gives him a nearly sure hit on the target with his 6 shots.
    So mostly it is a matter of how many innocent bystanders there is in the area. Even a missed shot will end up somewhere

September 6, 2017 3:44 AM MDT

Wow JakobA! Thank you for a most informative reply to my question. At best I expected a lot less info..more guesstimate. This gives me precisely what I wanted to know. Are you an expert shooter?  About the missed shot.  It made me think of those dingbats who shoot off guns on New Year's Eve and shoot up at the sky. Sometimes those bullets on the descent hit someone. What kind of fool would play Russian Roulette like that? Getting back to your reply once again it is quantity versus quality and I expect hotdoggers like quantity and non- hotdoggers prefer quality. The quality person could be dead though while taking careful aim. Something to think about! :)
      September 6, 2017 3:53 AM MDT

Nah, my main qualification is that I have watched MythBusters :-))
      September 6, 2017 4:06 AM MDT

I remember that show! It was a great show and we'd watch it most of the time. So you got all of that from watching a TV show? Do you have a photographic memory perchance?  Anyway thank you again for sharing what you know JakobA! :)
      September 6, 2017 4:24 AM MDT

The guy who takes his time and aims well can blow off the head of Mr. Quick-draw in the video....from 500 yards.
      September 6, 2017 7:36 AM MDT

• Not with a pistol.
      September 6, 2017 10:32 AM MDT

Depends on what type of gun your packin....

September 6, 2017 7:40 AM MDT

Go ahead...Make my day.
      September 6, 2017 10:29 AM MDT

Well, Bob makes it look easy to do.

This post was edited by Wolfhound at October 14, 2019 12:53 PM MDT
      October 14, 2019 12:49 PM MDT