Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you respect yourself? Do you believe you DESERVE to be treated with civility? How do you react when you aren't?

Do you respect yourself? Do you believe you DESERVE to be treated with civility? How do you react when you aren't?

Posted - October 6, 2017

Responses

No I don't respect myself enough. I tend to look out for other people more. Yes I deserve to be treated civily. Sometimes people treat me like their opinion is most important and mine isn't valid. I don't want to offend them and it's difficult because I am disabled and therefore a carer or parent might have the upper hand or think they do because they have more life experience and more control over the situation and things like they can walk out when they choose, have more energy to move about and contact people whereas I don't. I'm mainly cared for by my mum so of course there is the mother-offspring relationship still despite me being an adult. 
    It might depend what mood they are in as to how I react. If they're obviously in an argumentative mood, or if they shock me I sometimes don't reply. Sometimes I do stand up for myself but I get shut down a fair amount. Sometimes I can't think straight as I am tired which doesn't always help in the moment. It does make me frustrated and angry and feel helpless though. 
      October 8, 2017 8:04 AM MDT

Your reply makes me very sad m'dear. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion AND the right to state it. Whether others agree or not is totally irrelevant. Civil discourse and honest disagreement is very valuable.  That's how we learn about things we didn't know. HOWEVER if someone cannot state an opinion without attacking/insulting you for yours then that person is not worth your time. Period. I don't care whom it is.  It sounds as if you have a lot to deal with but replying as you did to my question is a very good thing You are thoughtful, articulate and polite. My 3 most favorite  human traits on an internet social site. Thank you for the time you took to explain your thoughts and Happy Monday to thee Pg.  I hope the circumstances get better for you but NO ONE can restrict what you think or change  whom you are. Keep it up. Maybe by your example others will learn how to behave. Don't give up. Keep it up! :)
      October 9, 2017 3:34 AM MDT

Aw thank you for being so lovely and encouraging. I do get some respect from others but not all the time and there's not much you can do when someone's adamant on their opinion and actions or when you can't get out of the situation, you just have to deal with it. Such a nice comment! :) 
      October 10, 2017 1:42 PM MDT

You're quite welcome. I always am so grateful for and appreciative of not being like the folks who are rude/insulting. I thank my lucky stars I don't have to go through life being them. Can you imagine a more horrendous existence?  That very often is enough for me to rise above it and move on. Gratitude will do that for you!  Happy Wednesday to thee Pg! :)
      October 11, 2017 6:10 AM MDT

I do for some things, not for others.  Civility, when and where I grew up, was a mark of social respect and important to communication and interaction.  Now, unfortunately, people view it as somehow compromising themselves.  Now the big thing has become "attitude" which mean you don't give a damn about anyone else.  So I no longer expect it though am happy when I am treated civilly. 
      October 8, 2017 8:17 AM MDT

The ME FIRST folks breed like rabbits.  There are a lot more of them now than there were when I was a kid. Many decades ago  of course when life made more sense to me personally. I guess we really are going to he** in a handbasket. SIGH. Thank you for your reply og and Happy Monday to thee!:)
      October 9, 2017 3:28 AM MDT