Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Politics » What makes someone a immigrant?

What makes someone a immigrant?

Say a guy was born in Puerto Rico & he moves to Colombia with his Colombian wife. But they have kid in Colombia! Would the kid be the immigrant? Also can you learn a Colombian accent if you live & breathe Colombian spanish all the time? Also would the guy who moved to Colombia be the immigrant in Colombia even if kid & wife was born in Colombia?

Posted - June 25, 2016

Responses

• Bez

A child cannot be an immigrant in the country in which he or she is born. The word "immigrant" means someone who has moved in from another country. As for regional accents, they can be and usually are picked up by living in that specific region for a period of time.

June 25, 2016 10:20 PM MDT

Well since kid was born in Colombia wouldn't that mean they have Colombian blood. Since it's their kid born in Colombia. Also Different parts of Colombia have different accents
      June 25, 2016 10:25 PM MDT

Immigrant.  Coming from one country and living in another.  If you get citizenship you are a legal immigrant. If you don't you are an illegal. 

That's all folks.

June 25, 2016 10:27 PM MDT

What if my kids are born in different country does that mean they aren't my kids since they are born in another country!
      June 25, 2016 10:29 PM MDT

Also say I have kid in another! Would the kid still be my accent even if I wasn't in the same country?
      June 25, 2016 10:35 PM MDT

The Puerto Rican holds U.S. citizenship. He remains a Puerto Rican who happens to be residing in Colombia. Colombia has its own laws on immigration and citizenship, and those laws are usually lenient on spouses. The Puerto Rican would possibly be considered an immigrant with some kind of legal residency status under Colombian law.

In most circumstances the child would still be considered a citizen of the United States under jus sanguinis, or right of blood, by being the child of a U.S. citizen. Colombia would consider the child to be a citizen of Colombia by jus soli, or right of soil from having been born there. The child could have a citizen's access to Colombia, or to the U.S. and its associative territories, by his/her choice throughout life. Such a choice is colloquially called dual citizenship.

Citizenship status may change if the Puerto Rican decides to pursue Colombian citizenship, which may require renouncing U.S. citizenship.

With all such matters, it is best to consult with an immigration attorney within the country of concern.

How much a transplant takes up a local accent or dialect may differ from person to person. Some blend into the local talk within weeks, and some never do. 

June 25, 2016 10:49 PM MDT

Why can a immigrant keep their citizenship of their birth country but if you are born In the USA you can't keep citzenship of USA & other country I don't thinks that's fair it's telling you if you can't stay in USA you won't keep USA citizenship why do you need to be loyal to the USA only! Also can that Puerto Rican get buried in Colombia technically Puerto Ricans & Colombian speak the same lanuage
      June 25, 2016 10:55 PM MDT

So it's honesty possible for a immigrant to pick up Colombian accent as the native! Some people it's possible like do accents change overtime
      June 25, 2016 11:02 PM MDT

I do not know Spanish well enough to distinguish dialects and accents, but in USA English I know people who moved to Texas and then called me on the phone 3 weeks later "talking Texas" as if they never lived in Ohio. I knew someone else who once lived in Texas for several years and returned to Ohio. She spoke as if she had been in Ohio all her life. Then when she called old friends in Texas she switched to faster higher-pitched speech and used the word "y'all" a lot. She turned the Texas talk right back on as needed. Other people live in another state, or may move from Canada to a USA state, and they never change at all from their native accent.

June 26, 2016 11:15 AM MDT

That is the most skewed reasoning ever.    What does parental lineage have to do with immigration?  Your kids "belong"* to you,  no matter if they were born on the moon.

*belong meaning they cannot be anyone else's progeny save yours, if they carry your genes.

Found on Yahoo Answers and it seems to adhere to what is fact.

Not according to the United States Constitution in the 14th Amendment. Only children born to a parent that is an American citizen is an American citizen by birth. If your parents are not citizens and you were issued a US passport because you were born in the USA, you were issued the passport illegally. No Federal law regarding citizenship can trump or override the Constitution.

For example, if foreign diplomats have a child in the US that child is not a US citizen. If your parents were in the US on a visa and you were born in the US you are not a US citizen. You are a citizen of your parents country.

Please check the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution Section 1 first sentence which reads "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.. If your parents are not US citizens then they are not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States but to the country they are from. Therefore, if you were born in the US and your parents are from another country you are not a US citizen. If you were issued a US passport and a real American citizen sued you for false impersonation, you would be found guilty and deported. Check the USCIS website too. No anchor baby would be found to be a US citizen in a court of law. Congress cannot pass an enforceable law that is in violation of the Constitution. The immigration laws have been written following the proper definition of citizenship by birth in Amendment 14.
      June 26, 2016 11:20 AM MDT

AN immigrant. 

June 26, 2016 11:32 AM MDT

Hello M:

A Puerto Rican is an American citizen so any children he has are American citizens, no matter WHERE they were born.

excon

June 26, 2016 11:34 AM MDT

The child would be Colombian.

The parents will be considered residents until they acquire citizenship. That may take a while.

The accent is not just one.  You have to pick one and work on it,

June 26, 2016 12:36 PM MDT

Wrong. If the child is born in Colombia, he/she would be a Colombian national.

If the parents are American, he/she would have dual nationality.

June 26, 2016 12:38 PM MDT

Hello U:

I didn't say that he wouldn't ALSO be a dual citizen.  I just said that he's an American citizen, and that's NOT wrong.  Apology accepted.

excon

June 26, 2016 1:31 PM MDT

Mario Creepo....I see you'll still posting the same stuff you posted on EP non-stop for  year !

June 26, 2016 1:34 PM MDT

He's a troll....

June 26, 2016 1:35 PM MDT

not if theyre born there

June 26, 2016 8:30 PM MDT