Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » All border crossings are not alike. Some are a piece of cake. You see a sign saying "Welcome to X" and that's it. Ever had a scary crossing?

All border crossings are not alike. Some are a piece of cake. You see a sign saying "Welcome to X" and that's it. Ever had a scary crossing?

Posted - May 4, 2018

Responses

Yes i had daily scary crossings back in the 70s/80s and early 90s traveling from Northern Ireland to the Republic for work.....I never knew if i was ever going to be arrested by the British soldiers at the Border when they checked my passport and seen i had an Irish name....Thankfully i never did but some people i know didnt get so lucky and were brutalized This post was edited by james at May 5, 2018 9:02 AM MDT
      May 4, 2018 6:23 AM MDT

Oh my goodness james! Just like in the movies.I'm sure glad you survived that. SIGH. I don't know why some folks experience so much in their lives that is very scary while others blissfully live out their lives never ever being scared of anything? T'is a puzzlement. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply and Happy Friday! :)
      May 4, 2018 6:49 AM MDT

The only time I was afraid crossing a border was when I went from West Berlin to East Berlin before the Wall came down.  We took a tour into East Berlin, so I felt pretty comfortable until they collected all our passports on the bus before we were allowed to get off.  We did get them back when we left, but I honestly didn't feel good about being in a communist area without my passport.
      May 5, 2018 9:04 AM MDT