Active Now

Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Names » What can you tell about others based on their avatars?

What can you tell about others based on their avatars?

How much can you tell about others? What does your avatar say about you?

Posted - October 3, 2016

Responses

• Is that you on the.picture Desiree?
      October 3, 2016 3:50 PM MDT

I can discern interests, artistic inclination, possible eccentricity, sometimes age or even occupation.
    All depends on the picture and the remarks of the individual.
      October 3, 2016 4:48 PM MDT

• That's good!
    What impression you get from mine. It's a sun, with birds flying above it.
    I always thought yours with your name is a pretty clever play on words.
    Thanks for responding Fork.
      October 5, 2016 8:31 AM MDT

• Hmm. What can you tell about me from mine ;)
      October 3, 2016 11:46 PM MDT

• I'd say by the colors that you're very creative, crafts or gardening or writing. 
    By you showing your face but not fully I'd say that you you want to be.seen but want to maintain a sense of privacy.
    And by the way.you're looking down covering with your hair, I'd say that you're introverted, thoughtful, and sometime s lonely.
    By the way your hair is all over the.place,.I'd say that you don't cater too much to social contracts and conventions. And you probably don't wear a bra.
    It's a very nice avatar, Ms L.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 5, 2016 3:09 AM MDT
      October 4, 2016 8:51 PM MDT

• Hehe, very good
      October 4, 2016 11:43 PM MDT

• I've thought about this in socio-psycholological terms (sounds a bit pompous): how pretty / ugly, hostile / cute, characaturical / genuinely depictive the choice of avatars are in relation to a chosen and sometimes contrived online persona.
    It's clear some people do not mind using an unadulterated image of themselves, as with a passport, while others hint at themselves with filtered images. What does that tell you. That they will reveal themselves but only so far? That those who use passport-esque ones are more trustworthy or open?
    Then there are those who would never use such an image. Highly protective of their anonymity for what reason. That is not a criticism, far from it. But I do think it's interesting.
    All speculation. 

But there are a lot of goat-related avis. Haven't worked that one out yet )
      October 4, 2016 12:01 AM MDT

• Yes, basically I do get a sense of honesty when the person shows their face. Which they may or may not be. 
    About the goat avatars, I don't understand them either, they are really not the cutest animal. It always brings up images of the satyr in my head.
    Thanks Lucia, for coming.

October 5, 2016 8:37 AM MDT

• Yours says I don't give a damn what people think, however bizarre it might be, which is a pretty accurate )
      October 4, 2016 12:06 AM MDT

• I hope you're not obliquely, referencing my impeccable sense of fashion... .again.
      October 5, 2016 8:38 AM MDT

• It might have crossed my mind )
      October 5, 2016 10:03 AM MDT

I am terrible at reading others. I suppose my avatar says I am a manchild or something like that. But I don't care.
      October 4, 2016 1:35 AM MDT

• And you shouldn't care. There's nothing wrong with it. You and I both are. 
    Thing is, dear Oscar, I think all the qualities of your avatar, are already in you.
    Good avatar.
    Thank you for your answer Oscar.

October 5, 2016 8:43 AM MDT

That I don't know how to get this damned thing to upload a picture obviously
      October 4, 2016 5:12 PM MDT

• That's good )
    Honestly, I thought you were trying to make a statement by NOT changing your avatar.
    Waiting to see what your new image will be. Good name btw.
    Thank you for stopping by, Sharonna.
      October 5, 2016 8:46 AM MDT

• Good question. I don't know because perception tends to change based on who you talk to. There's certain things that you can tell from an individual just through the use of pics but to me not much. If it's not obvious... it could be meant in so many different ways. I've come across stuff that I don't think is a big deal but others do etc.. and we all see things a different way. I'm really good at getting complex metaphors and words... but if I saw "just" an avatar without knowing the person I wouldn't be able to tell a lot about them.

My avatar is from horka dolls.. they are called "ooak dolls" or "one of a kind" dolls (can also translate to clothing etc.. anything unique in the world usually only one or limited.) They are expensive (between 600 and 2,000) and I would love one but I am poor and can't afford it. I probably will switch sometime to a diff. avatar but not now.

I mainly like horka dolls because they are not perfect. They have scars and complex faces. Like there's something just so full of emotion there and they are intense... the designer doesn't really hide that fact or even try to. In a way the Horka dolls sort of remind me of emotion in a really apathetic and weird world (about things I just don't logically get.) In another version it reminds me of trying to conform to societal norms and the dolls are sort of breaking that conformity with not looking as perfect as we try to make ourselves appear to be.
      October 5, 2016 7:28 PM MDT

• They're made by some chick in Poland out of clay aren't they?
      October 5, 2016 7:34 PM MDT

• Yes I think so. lol. You heard about it?
      October 5, 2016 7:37 PM MDT

• Yep, but that's about all I know.
      October 5, 2016 8:16 PM MDT

• I didnt know about this. i looked it up and it reminded me of an old Japanese  art, Kintsukuroi, where they broken pieces of pottery and put them back together usually using gold. They want to express that the fixed piece is more beautiful than the original, precisely because it is imperfect. you know?
      February 6, 2017 5:13 PM MST

• "Whether or not I owe them money." :)
      October 5, 2016 7:35 PM MDT

Usually I can tell more about a person if they DON'T have an avatar than if they DO. One's avatar usually talks about either one's interests, or something to do with their username. 
      October 9, 2016 6:35 AM MDT

My avatar shows that I am not trying to be mistaken for a movie character.
    My name is crow, and it has no deeper meaning than that.
      November 17, 2016 6:35 AM MST

• Yeah, but there's gotta be a reason you chose that particular picture, don't you think?
    That's a cool picture btw.
      April 4, 2017 11:02 AM MDT

• "Whether or not they know how to change it from this."

January 8, 2017 9:23 AM MST