Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Why are heterosexuals such miserable people?

Why are heterosexuals such miserable people?

I mean if the term "gay" also means happy, then by default heterosexuals are miserable... The struggles of us straight folks.

Posted - October 9, 2016

Responses

Yep. You caught us.  We're all heterosad. LOL!
      October 10, 2016 1:13 AM MDT

Not so much anymore. They've earned the right to marry and be just as miserable as anyone else. 
      October 10, 2016 1:19 AM MDT

IKR?!  Why would anyone want the right to be taken to the cleaners when a marriage goes horribly awry? :-)
      October 10, 2016 1:24 AM MDT

• Ooh. ... Were those claws I saw lol
      October 10, 2016 2:12 AM MDT

You applied the term "hetero" illogically. The question only asks about heteroSEXUALS. Live long and prosper. LOL
      October 10, 2016 7:06 AM MDT

Many heterosexual people are miserable because they aren't getting any. That means homosexual folks can also be miserable.
      October 10, 2016 7:09 AM MDT

"Many" maybe - by no means all! I don't think I've made love since 1999, and that's not going to change, but I'm certainly not miserable about it! It's only a bodily function not necessary for your survival; and there's rather more to life than sexual intercourse. 

Being serious for a moment, many people are lonely because they cannot find a partner - of either sex and any orientation - but that's not quite the same and is more serious than merely trying not to recapture lost virginity. Companionship is more important than mere mating, especially beyond breeding age. There must be a huge number of such singletons, judging by the proliferation of parasitical dating-agencies preying profitably on the gullible or desperate among them.
      October 10, 2016 3:32 PM MDT

Your diatribe is very inciteful...but bottom line is...sex is a lot of fun.
      October 10, 2016 9:13 PM MDT

"Diatribe"? :-)

Oh Dear, I never meant it as a diatribe, just an observation!

Yes, I know most people find "sex" a lot of fun, and we all have strong sexual instincts - I didn't deny it. I think I enjoyed it, but recognise that it's just a phase in one's life you can remember with whatever feelings your own memories invoke. 

I don't build sexual activity into something ever so special; and accept that once it's over, it's over. I think it's that artificial inflation, driven by commerce, is what makes people unhappy. We're all constantly told to expect a "full" and "satisfactory" sexual life, told that things like impotence and infertility are undesirable diseases, that being single is wrong; and if we don't have that "full" love-life we've failed.

Even worse for those who don't through no fault of their own; unable to find a partner or if they are, unable physically to make love.

Yes, sexual intercourse and erotic activities are, or can be, "fun" as you say, but there is far more to life than them.

My text-book on Human Biology starts its chapter on Reproduction with, "Biologically, our purpose in life is to reproduce". What a bleak view of life! If you find "sex" fun - enjoy it while you can, but don't exaggerate its importance, or you will be unhappy when it's over!
      October 11, 2016 1:48 AM MDT

I use "diatribe" too loosely on long verbose responses. Yours wasn't that long so I apologize. I don't like to offend anyone. (Unless they deserve it of course.)
      October 11, 2016 2:07 PM MDT

OK Point taken :-) Please be assured I was not offended.

I realised the OP was a humorous play on the way the word "gay" had been used - but that linguistic aspect opens quite another big tin of wriggly worms!
      October 12, 2016 3:27 AM MDT