Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson

This question was prompted by reading another question that was posted about Michael Jackson.    I read where Michael paid out a whopping $200 million in out of court settlements to his accusers, even though he was never found guilty.  What possesses anyone to pay out that kind of money when they are not guilty.  I sure as hell wouldn't if I was innocent (if I was ever that rich).  As a matter of fact, I wouldn't pay a cent to anyone who made false claims against me.  It would be like the judge telling me if I plead guilty to child molestation, I would be guaranteed no jail time.  I would turn the offer down.  I've heard it said that the accused could lose more money if they took it to court, but imo it's the same as pleading guilty.  If you had been in the same position as Michael, would you be willing to shell out millions to keep it out of court?

Posted - October 16, 2016

Responses

That's how they just make it go away. 
      October 17, 2016 12:02 AM MDT

I don't think Michael's ever really went away. I think it loomed over his head until the day he died. Maybe that works for the common person not in the public eye though.  Don't you think shelling out that kind of money brings people out of the woodwork with bogus claims hoping to get some easy money. 
      October 17, 2016 10:35 PM MDT

When did you read about it? Just recently? If so, that right there would be why people do it. When it goes public, you're tried in the public eye. It doesn't matter if you were guilty or not. People will believe you were. Sadly, sometimes the best thing you can do to preserve your image is to pay something to go away, even if it's false. I can't see me doing something like that. It sounds like you and I are of the same mind- it's about personal honor. But, when your money comes from your own personal brand, and that brand gets tainted, you're toast. Is your honor worth giving up everything? Are your really less honorable for having paid someone off? After all, you know you weren't guilty. That person may not deserve your money, but they do have power over your earnings and your future. It's a business decision.

And before ya'll get any ideas, don't bother saying I sexually assaulted you. I'm broke. lol
      October 17, 2016 12:02 AM MDT

He was in the music business. Even false allegations can hurt or destroy careers. If He had not done anything some would have taken it as acceptance of the accusations.
      October 17, 2016 9:55 PM MDT

He could have opted to take it to court But I guess he did what he felt was right for him at the time. As it turned out, at the time of his death he was bankrupt. It's hard to say what his situation would have been had he let them take him to court. 
      October 17, 2016 10:39 PM MDT

Whatever happened to Jackson he brought it upon himself. he stubbornly refused to understand that inviting minors to spend time with him was an invitation to all kinds of legal problems. even if he is innocent of all the charges against him,  he's certainly guilty of over confidence and exploiting his celebrity status. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at November 6, 2016 12:25 AM MDT
      November 6, 2016 12:23 AM MDT