Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Questions » Communication » a new Rule or Tradition?

a new Rule or Tradition?

For those unfamiliar with it, there's a concept called Godwin's law ... Which states simply that the longer a discussion or argument goes on, sooner or later someone will make the comparison with Hitler or the Nazis.
After this current US election is over, do you think there will be an OzzyGirl Law where discussions will bring in Trump?

Posted - October 30, 2016

Responses

What if the discussion is how the world started or is there a God?  Oh yeah. I see what you mean now. 

Okay you win, Goodwin's stands.

But as far as the other question?  No doubt.  Without one doubt you are right on.
      October 30, 2016 3:39 PM MDT

• Yeah... It's one of those things that seem so obvious once mentioned
      October 30, 2016 3:40 PM MDT

Obama has been referred to as Hitler for eight years.  So, no, don't count on it. 

October 30, 2016 3:40 PM MDT

• I get the feeling down here that trump will prove to be far more divisive than Obama could ever be
      October 30, 2016 3:42 PM MDT

Other than some post-mortem for a time where supporters lament and opponents snicker at "Where Trump went wrong," I think his political importance will fade.

The RAWF/racists/xenophobes who make up a substantial portion of his base will simply move on to another standard-bearer (past ones included Strom Thurmond, Pat Buchanan, and David Duke).
      October 30, 2016 3:43 PM MDT

• I hope you're right ... But from here it looks like trump had been the naughty kid who went into the attic and found the old family history books that exposed a lot of secrets that best remained buried ... It may be time for some national soul searching on where do we go from here
      October 30, 2016 3:53 PM MDT

@Og256 -- To use your analogy, Trump is the little kid who said "Look everyone, Uncle Goppy keeps KKK robes in his closet!" at the dinner party. Everyone at the dinner party already ***knew*** Uncle Goppy was a KKK member, but because because he's also a respected local business owner and volunteer fire fighter, no one said anything about it out loud.

The GOP has been courting the Trump base since the Civil Rights era. This is just the first time someone has been so open about it.

October 30, 2016 4:47 PM MDT

• True ... Time to open the last festering sore and expose it to the light?
      October 30, 2016 4:51 PM MDT