Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » As you grow older, do you find yourself using stairway hand railings more often?

As you grow older, do you find yourself using stairway hand railings more often?

Posted - August 24, 2021

Responses

Sometimes. 

Your question reminds me of my first time aboard ship, it was an amphib, one of the larger ones. When we set sail* (got underway) for our 6-month deployment, we were at sea for almost two weeks straight before hitting our first port of call. It took me about four or five days to learn my way all over that entire ship, even in some areas where embarked Marines usually never ventured or areas that were/could have been/should have been off- limits to Marines. One thing I learned from some sailors was a way to descend a ladder (stairs for you landlubbers) as quickly as humanly possible by palming the aluminum rails and propelling myself downward feet-first with my body at a 45-degree angle, not touching one rung with my feet all the way down, just sliding my hands on the rails until I reached the landing. For descending several decks in succession, you could make a 20-second trip in about 5 seconds. Of course, there were safety hazards involved; low overheads and exposed pipes, lines, ducts, machinery, etc., and if anyone was below you on that ladder, a collision was almost guaranteed. As such, the practice was 100% against regs, so getting caught by a petty officer, chief, or officer was actively avoided. There was also the possibility that the aluminum rail might have a screw or seam or split in it, and that would rip your hand right open. Loose railings could also throw you off balance right in the middle of the maneuver, that was disastrous because it relied on precise manipulation of weight, speed, thrust, and timing. 

Proofreading this before submitting shows me that the description of the move might be lacking, especially for those unfamiliar with the layout inside large naval vessels, or those who have never done it or have never seen it done. Sorry about that.

*Colloquially, even though modern naval vessels are not sail-powered, much of the olden day terminology is still in everyday use among the maritime services. It is nostalgic and a sense of pride that keeps them alive. 

~

August 24, 2021 3:23 PM MDT

Thanks. We all did that, even well into my Chief years. The officers were jealous as the ladders in officer's country were wrapped decoratively with a light line and painted.
      August 25, 2021 7:59 AM MDT

Good point, I had forgotten about the difference in officer country, LOL. 

~

August 25, 2021 8:15 AM MDT

I have tried for years to train myself to always use hand railing.  It's not an "old person" thing, but common sense safety. (You never know if/when a cat will dart under your feet.)
      August 24, 2021 3:27 PM MDT

No. I'm still able to levitate up and down the stairs. 
      August 24, 2021 3:33 PM MDT

• Yes, I started to use the stairway hand railings more frequently around the time that I turned age 60.
      August 24, 2021 3:42 PM MDT

I always put my hand on one side.  I became diligent after having quite a fall.
      August 24, 2021 10:50 PM MDT

Not really. I've always used handrails. I figured they put them there for a reason, why not use them. :)
      August 25, 2021 8:05 AM MDT

I use the stairs all the time now because I keep falling off the railings.
      August 26, 2021 1:55 AM MDT