Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Pres Obama tells illegals it is ok for them to vote. When you vote you are a citizen, what? Do you agree?

Pres Obama tells illegals it is ok for them to vote. When you vote you are a citizen, what? Do you agree?

If I vote, will immigration know where I live?   Will they come for my family and deport us?”

“Not true,” Obama said.   “The reason is, first of all, when you vote, you are a citizen yourself, and there is not a situation where the voting rules are transferred over and people start investigating.”

Obama said the sanctity of the vote is strictly confidential.

http://dennismichaellynch.com/obama-tells-illegal-dreamer-ok-vote/

Posted - November 7, 2016

Responses

Only US Citizens have the right to vote. Visa holders, LEGAL Permanent Residents, and those in this country illegally do not have the right to vote!

The young lady asking the question specifically stated " RODRIGUEZ: Many of the millennials, Dreamers, undocumented citizens -- and I call them citizens because they contribute to this country -- are fearful of voting. So if I vote, will immigration know where I live? Will they come for my family and deport us?" She included "Dreamers" (those brought as children, not born here) and undocumented citizens. She considers them citizens of this country --- but under the Constitution and Federal Law they have NO RIGHT TO VOTE IN OUR ELECTION.

Therefore, Obama's response is WRONG. (And I'll note that LIBERAL Snopes is WRONG again!)

I'll note, that when my husband became a legal Permanent Resident he was advised in writing that he could NOT partake in the Federal elections, either by campaigning for a candidate or making a monetary contribution and to do so could cause the revocation of his legal status to be in this country and subject to deportation. Under Obama all that seems to have changed!
      November 7, 2016 7:58 AM MST

Everything he said in that interview was wrong.  Even criminal. 
      November 7, 2016 2:34 PM MST

Oh yes. Criminal as all get-go.

He's going to prison now and so is that Hillary.

Trump for PRESIDENT.  HOORAH
      November 7, 2016 2:58 PM MST

Did you ever hear the term surrounded by a sea of idiots?

This is the reason Trump ever got a foothold because people who LOVE Trump and hate Obama make up every convoluted piece of illogic to prove him wrong and themselves right.

He said nothing of the sort.  I'm scared for people like you.  I really am. 

Please tell me where he said this.  I think he said that you don't get hounded because you voted.   You don't get searched.  I don't see any words attesting to him saying that you can vote and be illegal.

If you are illegal, you cannot even register unless you are suicidal. 

November 7, 2016 2:37 PM MST

He DID say it during an interview with Gina Rodriquez on November 3rd.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLLt-a6dI_0
      November 7, 2016 2:48 PM MST

Sharonna, again you tell others they are wrong when you have no idea what you are talking about.  Wouldn't the logical response have been to ask where they read or heard this.  I heard it myself.  He certainly said exactly as the OP said. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 8, 2016 5:33 AM MST
      November 7, 2016 2:50 PM MST

Again?  When did I ever?  When did I EVER speak out of ignorance?  You, my dear, I am embarrassed for  over and over again.  I cannot for the life of me understand how someone who practices LAW for godsakes, who can be so sane and rational on some subjects, just go completely bonkers when it comes to anything to do with Trump and anything that is Tea Party motivated. 

He did not say this.  You speak out of TRUMPNESS.

No one ever said  that illegals can vote.  OKAY?

He never EVER said this.   No matter how much you and My 2 Cents wish he did.  Didn't say that.   You think More 2 Be is sane.  What can I say Thrift?  What can I say????

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 7, 2016 2:57 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 2:51 PM MST

I heard the interview myself, Sharonna.    However I just read on Snopes that the video was doctored.  Snopes is not reliable but I questioned it because wheeen I heard it I couldn't believe my ears.  So, now I'm not sure about the video. 

Yes, again.  You just said I didn't know what cracker means.  I live in Florida and assure you I know what a Florida cracker is.  That type of "correction" doesn't look good on you. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 7, 2016 4:47 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 3:00 PM MST

Watch the full video....OS posted the link. The part I posted starts about 3:20... The only thing edited was removing the first 3 min or so when they were talking about jobs, Bernie, Hillary etc. Please do go watch the full video. He said exactly what I posted above. 
      November 7, 2016 4:50 PM MST

Thrifty I SEE where they heard this.  I read it.  YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG.  OKAY?  I don't need your priceless logic here, dear. 

It always escapes and terrifies me where you come up with these conclusions of yours.  If you don't like someone, they have no prayer. I have heard your arguments for years.  I just scratch my head.  What can I say?
      November 7, 2016 3:00 PM MST

Follow my link it has a video. 
      November 7, 2016 4:27 PM MST

No.  No MY 2.  It doesn't.  Okay?

It does not say that.  Go worship at the feet of Rush Limbaugh and the rest of these "prophets of lies".

There is no way anyone can penetrate your denial.  I am not going anyplace you point ever.  Not politically that is for certain. 

You cannot see the forest for the trees.  Never could. 
      November 7, 2016 4:30 PM MST

I don't listen to talk radio. You should watch the video....use OS's link. The part I posted starts at approx 3:20. Listen from the beginning you will see Obama said exactly what I posted. 
      November 7, 2016 4:53 PM MST

People will read into President Obama's statement what they wish to read into it.

Some will read, "Since only citizens can legally register to vote, citizens who vote have no reason to fear their names being investigated." I can imagine scenarios (such as being a legal citizen with a common name, say "Jose Rodriguez," where it would potentially match that of many illegal immigrants, would not like to be subject to investigation.

Similarly, I could imagine some "anchor babies" who have reached voting age do NOT want their LEGAL participation ("anchor babies" are US citizens by law) in voting to be cause for their families to be investigated and potentially the non-legal family members deported.

And if you don't think the above can happen, just ask the Floridians who were purged from the voter rolls because their names matched those of known felons.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/25/jeb-bush-florida-voter-purge_n_7656764.html

Of course, there is also an alternative reading that President Obama is part of TEH STOOPID EBIL LIBRUHL DEMOCRAP conspiracy to steal our elections using illegal aliens.

Or maybe both of the above readings are incorrect. I'm sure there are other possibilities.
      November 7, 2016 2:51 PM MST

There are none so deaf as those who want to follow More 2 Be.....and make up hysterical lies to support whatever Rush Limbaugh hysteria that can be spread.

(one more day and Trump is history)
      November 7, 2016 2:56 PM MST

No one made up lies here.  Did you watch the video?  You needn't answer. 
      November 7, 2016 3:02 PM MST

For those who are interested in the full video (rather than just the part the Vast Right Wing Echo Chamber wants you to see), here is a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLLt-a6dI_0

I will note that the interviewer and President Obama discuss EXACTLY the feared scenario (voter rolls being used to investigate families who might have some illegal immigrant members) I mentioned in my other answer. This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 7, 2016 3:15 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 3:12 PM MST

No one will read this of course, except those who already agree with you.

One HUOOGE gigantic comfort?  Trump has seconds left.  SECONDS. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 7, 2016 3:17 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 3:16 PM MST

What I posted is not edited to make it sound like Obama said anything he did not say. In your link to the full video the question is exactly the same as what I posted. If anyone is interested it starts at approx 3:22 in the full video. The stuff before was about  jobs and Bernie supporters. And Hillary being a woman. But yes, please listen to it see that it was not selectively edited. 
      November 7, 2016 4:44 PM MST

@M2c -- I suppose then you really believe then-President Reagen outlawed Russia and really DID send bombers to destroy it?

Those are the EXACT words he said. The comment was NOT selectively edited.

But it's clear to anyone who knows the full context that Reagan was simply joking during a microphone check prior to his real speech.

Similarly, if you watch THE WHOLE VIDEO which includes Obama's unedited comments which have you and your fellow Usual Suspects in an uproar, he was referring to LEGAL Americans, who might theoretically face increased scrutiny because of suspicions they are illegal immigrants themselves or might be related to illegal immigrants, not being afraid to vote because their act of voting would NOT be used as an investigative tool against them.

Should he perhaps have listened more closely to the question and noted the interviewer's language implied illegal immigrants intended to vote? Probably.

Should Ronald Reagan have not made such inflammatory comments during a time when the old Soviet leadership was especially paranoid and taking his "Evil Empire" rhetoric (as well as the bellicose "We can win a war agains the Soviets" assertions of administration officials) seriously. Also probably.

That doesn't mean either Reagan or Obama intended their comments to mean the most negative interpretation of them one can possibly make. This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 7, 2016 4:55 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 4:53 PM MST

I am not old enough to remember what Reagan said and didn't say. 
    If Obama misspoke then I hope to see in the very near future a correction of what he said. Until then I will take him at his word. 
      November 7, 2016 5:01 PM MST

You are not old enough?  Wow, that makes reams of sense.    I am not old enough for Adolph Hitler either, but I can tell you just about everything that he did. 

If you cannot remember Reagan or what he said or did, how do you manage to be such an expert on all things Obama, Hillary and Trump I wonder?  Selective memory?  Are you old enough for W?

I can wax profoundly on that turkey if you wish.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 7, 2016 5:13 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 5:09 PM MST

@m2c -- Re: "I am not old enough to remember what Reagan said and didn't say. "

Wow! This particular comment suggests one of thre things:

1) Much like my 85-year-old demented mother, you are making the claim that because you DO NOT PERSONALLY remember something, therefore it didn't happen. My mother has been declared incapactiated by two different doctors. Are you admitting you lack sufficient mental competence to make adult choices? If so, I REALLY hope you aren't allowed to vote.

2) One of the hallmarks of adult cognition is the ability to engage in what the developmental psychologist Jean Piaget named Formal Operations. Formal Operations is the ability to take definite examples in reality (e.g. Obama's comments on the video) and think about them in the framework of abstract concepts (e.g. sometimes literal words do not convey the full intended meaning of speakers). Are you claiming you are too mentally young to engage in Formal Operations?

3) You are engaging in motivated cognition and frantically trying to preserve your ideologically-preferred construct ("TEH STOOPID EBIL DEMOCRAP OBAMA SAID ILLEGAL ALIENS SHOULD VOTE!") against the fairly reasonable alternative construct Obama was addressing his comments to legal citizens (particularly Latino citizens) who can legally vote but may be afraid to vote because they fear government entities will use their act of voting to harrass them or their family members.

If so, then, as I asserted in my original answer, your so-called "taking him at his word" is simply you hearing what you WANT to hear from those words, most likely not what President Obama intended.
      November 7, 2016 5:26 PM MST

The point is we are discussing what President Obama said. Not what Reagan said or did not say. You are deflecting to Reagan because Obama said exactly what I posted. 
      November 7, 2016 5:36 PM MST