Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Did you hear about Trump's latest legal loss?

Did you hear about Trump's latest legal loss?

A New York judge ruled on Tuesday that Donald trump, his two adult sons, and several of his associates are liable for fraud. The ruling establishes that Trump overvalued his properties and inflated his net worth over several years, thus deceiving banks, investors, and insurers. 

The ruling strips Trump and several of his co-defendants of their business licenses within New York. On October 2nd a trial will begin to see what Trump will have to pay in damages - which is expected to be around 250 million dollars. Cheers!

Posted - September 26, 2023

Responses

Pocket change. He should be making little rocks out of big ones for trying to strong-arm Raffensperger, or strapped to a table on a KCl drip for Jan 6 - treason is a CAPITAL crime.
      September 27, 2023 4:48 AM MDT

I think Trump is cash poor. And I think that I am one step closer to being able to sing Bob Dylan's song - Like a rolling stone to him. Trump has been able to con MAGA's into paying his legal bills and now he will have to start coning them into paying his fines. Cheers!
      September 27, 2023 8:36 AM MDT

Makes no sense...when you get loan, the bank does not ask you what your things are worth. The banks asks you what you own and THEY TELL you what it is worth. 

No banks involved lost money...no banks were involved in this case.  

Cases like this are why Trump is going to win in 20024. 
      September 27, 2023 5:08 AM MDT

Bet if it was Biden you would be singing a different tune about the Biden crime family. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at September 27, 2023 10:24 AM MDT
      September 27, 2023 8:01 AM MDT

Nope. I know how loans work. If you get a loan, they bank tells you what your property is worth.  They have own appraisers who do the evaluation...they do not care what you believe the value is....

Just a the city/county also does not ask what you believe the value is for tax purposes....they also have their own people do that job. 
      September 27, 2023 1:12 PM MDT

Obviously, none of us are familiar with all the facts of the case. Political bias and wishful thinking don’t count. Only the judge’s ruling does.
      September 27, 2023 2:59 PM MDT

Just what bank gives you a loan and does not have their people evaluate/appraise the property involved?   That is not even legal under FDIC lending regulations. 
      September 27, 2023 4:41 PM MDT

I am not claiming to be an expert, so I won't debate this. However, I believe you are referring to properties that are valued because they are being used as collateral, not to valuations that are used to show the borrower's net worth for purposes of evaluating the ability to repay and to determine interest rates which are lower when the bank's risk is lower. We average borrowers know that the higher our credit score, the lower our interest rate on loans.
      September 27, 2023 8:16 PM MDT

This judge claims Maralago is worth $18M claiming Trump overvalued it.   Forbes says it is worth $325M.  
    I will trust Forbes.  
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/article/the-definitive-networth-of-donaldtrump/?sh=44fd4cbc2a8e

September 28, 2023 5:38 AM MDT

When Mar-a-Lago was valued at $27M for property tax, Trump appealed saying it was worth  only $18M. The Forbes link says the value is $327M, Trump's financial statements listed it as $627M.

Since you trust Forbes, here's a more recent article stating that Trump had been lying to them for years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zacheverson/2022/09/23/checks--imbalances-a-forbes-look-at-the-trump-fraud-lawsuit/

You should also read the actual summary judgment for a fuller understanding of the charges.

September 28, 2023 7:20 AM MDT

Understanding = optimism
      September 28, 2023 10:09 AM MDT

I did not say I trust Forbes...but rather between a judge who claims $18M and Forbes at $425M, I trust Forbes......  property values vary widely and change regularly.   One of my homes based on Zillow site, one month ago said low value was $225k and today low value is listed as $243k.  Now if I wanted a loan, bank will simply ask me the address and they will tell me what they consider the value.

Again, if a bank is using a property to evaluate a loan, they ask you what the property is and they tell you what the value is.....
    The banks are not complaining. The banks all got paid their money complete, in full and on time. 
      September 28, 2023 6:39 PM MDT

1.Again, there is a different between a bank using property value to make a loan on that property  and using the property values to assess a person's net worth and ability to repay the loan. Trump was not taking out a mortgage on Mar-a-Lago,  he was using it to prove how rich he was. 

2, Again, the judge didn't make up that number, it is the value Trump gave to the tax assessors when he appealed their  $27M assessment.

3. The banks were repaid, but earned a lower interest rate than if Trump hadn't lied. I think the banks failure to question his financial statement is highly suspicious, but that's another topic.

4.Borrowers who didn't lie got turned down or paid more in interest. Trump was cheating to get an advantage over his competitors. 
      September 29, 2023 6:36 AM MDT

Can't view the entire article without disabling my ad blocker, which I'm not about to do.
      September 28, 2023 10:03 AM MDT

You may not be able to read my linked either. But suffice it to say, that Forbes testified for the prosecution in this fraud case. 
      September 28, 2023 10:26 AM MDT

Cases like this are why the GOP should nominate someone younger with less baggage who’s not a demagogue.
      September 27, 2023 11:04 AM MDT

Trump is getting the nomination....GOP establishment cannot stop him. 

Too many of the younger ones have no backbone. 
      September 27, 2023 4:29 PM MDT

Exactly. That’s the problem when someone becomes bigger than their party.
      September 27, 2023 4:35 PM MDT

The party is crap without him.  Just a bunch of RiNOs with no spine.  With a couple exceptions but they are not running. 
      September 27, 2023 4:43 PM MDT

And the Congressional delegation can’t shoot straight for its inability to compromise and work across the aisle. That may not be Trump’s fault, but it’s a big issue.
      September 27, 2023 5:32 PM MDT

I don't want my Congress people working across the aisle. I do not agree with the other side of the aisle.  I would be quite happy with gridlock are most issues. 
      September 27, 2023 6:31 PM MDT

Will you be happy with a government shutdown? That would be a dumb thing to happen.
      September 27, 2023 6:55 PM MDT

They can pass the individual targeted appropriation bills that should have been done already.  No more continuing resolutions.  

I think it is ridiculous that the establishment made sure that Ukraine will get paid even if Americans don't.....

Shut it down. Urkaine as well. We should not be funding Nazis. This post was edited by my2cents at September 28, 2023 5:40 AM MDT
      September 27, 2023 7:09 PM MDT

Why not just have a one-party, totalitarian system with Trump as dictator and Republicans holding all seats in Congress?
      September 28, 2023 8:55 AM MDT