Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Give Trump room to sink or swim/succeed or fail build or destroy. Don't assume. Give him room to do good. What are the odds he will?Why?

Give Trump room to sink or swim/succeed or fail build or destroy. Don't assume. Give him room to do good. What are the odds he will?Why?

Posted - November 9, 2016

Responses

It will be an interesting adminstration, at least at first.

Trump has made several impractical policy proposals (such as the proverbial Wall That Mexico Will Pay For) and it remains to be seen how much his supporters will insist he follow through with his promises.

I suspect Trump will quicklly run into political and practical realities which will stymie almost all of his proposals. Once that occurs, I suspect his administration will try to spin the narrative of Democratic obstructionism being responsible for Trump's inability to implement his grandiose schemes.

Eventually, the narrative will become tiresome and, instead, Trump will just quitely work with Congress to implement fairly conventional GOP policy initiatives, with no wall-building, no major illegal immigrant deportation, no significant changes to existing trade treaties, and so forth.

Tea Party Tim will once again be left wondering what happened as the Plutocrat Petes of the world get what they want, while Tim gets next to nothing. This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 10, 2016 2:49 AM MST
      November 9, 2016 12:37 PM MST

• You also predicted he wouldn't win either :D
      November 9, 2016 5:07 PM MST

@Mis -- Like many people, I believed the polls, which accurately predicted HRC's level of support but substantially underestimated Trump's. I didn't have any special insight.

But implementing policy is a different kettle of fish than telling people what they want to hear. For example, let's say Trump makes a policy proposal designed to severely limit illegal immigration and reduce the number of illegal immigrants already in the United States (but not via amnesty).

There are entrenched economic interests in the United States which LIKE having illegal immigrants as a cheap disposable low-worker-rights pool of labor. What if Trump gets in a room with representatives from Big Agra, Big Construction, Big Hospitality, Big Hospital, etc. who tell him, "You can't do that. Our labor costs will skyrocket. If you do that, we will support pro-immigration candidates in the 2018 midterm elections?"

What does Trump do then? His history is not one of being a negotiator and a compromiser. He may try to force his policy through, and he may succeed, but there will be insitutional resistance.

Or take, for example, his idea to seize outgoing monetary remittances from people in the US to Mexico as a way of trying to force Mexico to pay for his proverbial wall. It is not clear if those seizures are legal. If they are legal, they are a substantial portion of the economy of Mexico. Interrupting them would increase economic instability in Mexico, with probable secondary consequences in the global financial markets. Once again, the Powers That Be will probably meet with Trump and explain that they are not up for economic instability in Mexico and increased volatility in international financial markets. Will Trump fold? I don't know. And what happens if he does fold and has to tell Americans, "Sorry, I know I promised Mexico would pay for the wall, but your tax dollars are going to do it instead." It's not clear how that scenario will unfold, although the scenario is likely to come up.

November 9, 2016 6:03 PM MST

Considering that the Republicans are still the Senate and House Majority party and now the White House has been sucked in too I fail to see how Dems will be blamed for the Republican failures that will surely occur. Any gridlock will be courtesy of them. All of Washington is in the hands/power/control of Republicans or rather will be on January 20, 2017. Right? Mahalo for your thoughtful answer OS and Happy Thursday! :(
      November 10, 2016 2:49 AM MST

Please.

Do NOT fall for any of this.  Trump is not going to do one thing he said.  He cannot remember what he said from one day to the next.  I managed to ignore Bush for 8 years, I have had practice ignoring despotic liars.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 9, 2016 5:28 PM MST
      November 9, 2016 12:39 PM MST

• I have been exceedingly anti-Trump (well anti both candidates actually)
    but there is already one good thing about his election.
    It looks as thought the TPT, which was on the brink of being signed, will now be off and dead,
    because Trump stands for national isolation and protectionism.
    The Trans-Pacific Trade deal was a huge document designed to reduce legal and bureaucratic obstacles to business.
    It included the obligation for governments to pass laws preventing activists from blockading on environmental issues:
    fracking, mining, oil pipelines and rigs and any commercial threat to eco-systems or species of animals.
    In so doing it would also have eroded freedom of speech and democracy.

It also removed the obligation for environmental impact studies prior to mining,
    to repair the surface appearance of the land after mines were exhausted (the main damage is not repairable)
    and to pay for environmental offsets (compensation) elsewhere.
    These latter were less important because in practice they are not being done properly
    and are not monitored or enforced.
      November 9, 2016 12:41 PM MST

• TPP.
      November 9, 2016 12:47 PM MST

Yes. No TPP...this is a good thing.
      November 9, 2016 12:54 PM MST

Why are you worried about our election anyway?
      November 9, 2016 1:05 PM MST

Because, Thrfty, Hartfire has insight and is able to grasp the implications.   Do you think he is just going to ruin this already ruined country?  He is going to affect us all.  All over the planet.  The USA is not some island somewhere off Galapagos.
      November 9, 2016 1:11 PM MST

• I somewhat agree.  At least when it comes to internal policy.   Yet a country like Australia's fate is determined by our international actions because our corrupt government involves itself in way too many foreign nations and our allies suffer from that.  Our move from mostly isolationist to global interventionism has negative effects on us the USA and any other nation that chooses to ally with us.  The ones who don't are punished by  pushing for sanctions against them and being in the military cross-hairs.  Our trade deals and wars have huge effects on a country like Australia.

See someone from Australia would have had a lot to lose if the TPP was signed by the USA.  
      November 9, 2016 2:16 PM MST

• Because Australia is signed into various miltary (ANZUS) and trade deals which make us virtually a vassal of the USA. We must go alng with what the USA whether our people and govt like it or not. Our politicians MUST develop good rapport with yours no matter which parties are in power. We little Australians have absolutely no say in the matter - so we watch the states fervently and nervously. The impacts for us will affect everyone.
      November 10, 2016 2:11 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughtul and informative reply hartfire and Happy Thursday!  :(
      November 10, 2016 2:51 AM MST

The odds with Trump are better than they would have been with Ms pay and play Hillary.  Snap!
      November 9, 2016 12:43 PM MST

What Hillary does with money is not even known to you or anyone.  What Trump does to cause mayhem, strife and hate is legend.

November 9, 2016 12:54 PM MST

• I think there are two aspects to keep in mind here ... trump the man and the message he carries from the people ... I don't like the man but is obvious the message  resonates with many people ...
      November 9, 2016 1:23 PM MST

What message?

I have kidnergarteners that have more of an idea of how to put two thoughts together and not contradict a message.

What message?  What clear cut idea does he stand for?  Change?  Oh, you are so right.  That we will get, I guarantee that.  And I doubt very highly that anyone has a clue what kind of change is coming.

A hurricane is change.  A bomb is change.  An idiot running things is worse.    Most people like the idea of a hurricane if they have never experienced one first hand. 
      November 9, 2016 1:27 PM MST

• I'm not saying you are wrong ... In fact I probably agreed with most of what you say ... But that just reinforces my point that there is such a huge groundswell against the status quo that they would still vote for him
      November 9, 2016 1:57 PM MST

You know, OZ, I am not displaying this side of me, but I am actually a totally forgiving person.  I cannot hold a grudge for long.  It is just not healthy to be in that place.   But, I am no fool and I do not suffer fools.  Trump is a fool. 

I will never trust nor buy into anything that comes out of his mouth.  He does little action and just blows hot air.  That may be the saving grace to all of it.  Maybe he will just lie and actually do nothing.

TRUMP STEAKS. Maybe he will do 4 years of TRUMP STEAKS again. 
      November 9, 2016 2:01 PM MST

• I do hear and agree with you. .. But to ignore the message because the messenger is a fool .... not a good thing
      November 9, 2016 4:09 PM MST

Thank you for your reply Ozgirl and Happy Thursday!:(
      November 10, 2016 2:52 AM MST

Trump won so lets support him and hope he does good for the sake of all of us, Obama administration was leading us down the wrong path in many ways and Hillary was only an extension of that corrupt group.

November 9, 2016 1:31 PM MST

You just said that.  You just said let's support him.  I wonder how many days I will be waking up and the first thing that hits me is the Devil is running the country.

Oh lets. 
      November 9, 2016 1:34 PM MST

@TT -- When Obama won in 2008 and 2012, were you calling for people to "support him" and hope he does good for the sake of all of us? Nah, didn't think so.

What you are reallly saying is, "Trump won, so STFU!"

Sorry, the political right was FAR from "supportive" of President Obama after he took office, so I feel ZERO obligation to be "supportive" of President Trump (beyond recognizing that he did legally win the election and is, therefore, legally the US president) just because he won a very closely-contested election.

Now, if Trump actually does some effect positive change while in office, I will give him credit. I'm not counting on it, and I have major doubts about his ability to implement ANY policy based on his usually fact-free rhetoric, but I'll give him a chance. But I'm under ZERO obligation to support his "Kill the families of accused terrorists" war crime proposals.
      November 9, 2016 2:15 PM MST