Active Now

Randy D
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » How can a party which claims to be Democratic remove political rivals from the ballots (both primary & general)?

How can a party which claims to be Democratic remove political rivals from the ballots (both primary & general)?

And then claim, somehow the other party is the Fascist???
It is not just Trump. There are 4 state primaries who are not allowing Biden"s three or four challengers for the nomination on the primary ballots.    FL, TN, NC, and Mass...currently are not allowing anyone else on Dem primary ballot. 

Posted - December 21, 2023

Responses

I'm waiting for the Supreme Court to decide before I get too upset. 
      December 21, 2023 3:55 PM MST

It is not just Trump. (Yes, I agree the SCOTUS will not allow them to remove Trump)  There are 4 state primaries who are not allowing Biden"s three or four challengers for the nomination on the primary ballots.    FL, TN, NC, and Mass...currently are not allowing anyone else on Dem primary ballot. 
      December 21, 2023 4:55 PM MST

He shouldn't have been removed from the ballot, he should have been jailed at the very least. Sedition is a capital crime. But removing him from the ballot saves the trouble of disqualifying him later.
    "Whoever incites, sets in foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.
    (June 25, 1948, ch.645, 62 Stat. 808; Pub. L. 103-322, title XXXIII, §330016(1)(L), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)
    That's the US Criminal code, the italics are mine. The Democratic Party didn't remove him from the Colorado primary, the Colorado Supreme Court did.
      December 21, 2023 4:46 PM MST

It is not just Trump. And CO Supremes did not even remove him, they stayed their own order. They know it will not stand.  SCOTUS will not allow them to remove Trump.
    There are 4 state primaries who are not allowing Biden"s three or four challengers for the nomination on the primary ballots.    FL, TN, NC, and Mass...currently are not allowing anyone else on Dem primary ballot. 

So how is it that they are the "Democratic Party"? This post was edited by my2cents at December 21, 2023 5:02 PM MST
      December 21, 2023 4:57 PM MST

There are different criteria in each state that the party uses to qualify candidates to appear on the ballot. For example, they may have to have a certain number of signatures on a petition. One of the candidates is not even born in the US and still thinks he should be on the ballot. I dont think these candidates were 'removed' from the ballot, they just didn't qualify to be placed on the ballot. These criteria are not new and are not limited to the Democrats. For the 2020 election many states cancelled their Republican primaries altogether after the national Republican Committee declared total support for Trump. I don't recall you objecting back then. This post was edited by Jane S at December 23, 2023 6:12 PM MST
      December 22, 2023 7:44 AM MST

Yes there are different requirements in each state.  But if they meet them, they should be allowed on the ballot. I know in at least one state, there were others met those requirements.  And were not allowed on. 

Thar is no way Democratic  and quite ironic coming from the party who claims to be defending democracy from the  bad orange man.

I think any one who gets the requirements  should be on the ticket  even if they are running against an incumbent President  (including when that was Trump)
      December 23, 2023 5:14 AM MST

What states did not allow qualified candidates on the ballot? Which candidate? There are always two sides to a story and I'll save my opinion until I have both sides.

When a party doesn't bother with primaries and says the party platform is whatever their guy wants, it looks like a dictatorship in the making to me.
      December 23, 2023 6:48 AM MST

TN did not put Phillips on the primary ballot. He submitted more than required amount. (Required 2500 submitted over 3000 by the deadline) 

I can not find information (so far on the other states as to requirements compared to what was submitted) 

But TN a qualified candidate was disenfranchised as were any voters in that state who may have choose to support him instead of Biden.
      December 23, 2023 1:02 PM MST

The only thing I could find on Phillips in Tennessee,  was that he did not file his petition in time. You may want to add Biden to your candidates being left off the ballot for not filing on time in NH. Phillips is the only name on the ballot in NH. BTW, he represents the district where i live. 
      December 23, 2023 2:30 PM MST

December 23, 2023 5:15 PM MST

I don't know if he made the deadline or not. I checked and the deadline is noon on Dec 5th.  My source was the Tennessee journal which quoted the TN secretary of state. It also said he did not collect 2500 valid signatures. Since your source said the signatures were pending review, that may be the issue. Or maybe the evil Democrat Party is trying to promote Biden and it's all a conspiracy to install Biden as dictator for life or the next four years, whichever comes first.

https://pro.stateaffairs.com/tn/politics/phillips-tennessee-ballot
      December 23, 2023 7:50 PM MST

Biden....dicator for life....even the "evil Democrat party" doesn't want that. 

If they are truly following their set rules....it should be easy to find out if they met the requirements. Or what requirements they missed.
      December 24, 2023 11:51 AM MST

There always is and always has been, bias and even corruption in US politics. Yet you continually get your undies in a bunch over it, unless it's your party. If it's so easy to find out what happened, then go ahead and do it before you post your loaded questions which are usually based on incomplete information.  You seem to have all the excuses for MAGA,  but just go with whatever the right wing media decides is the current outrage committed by the left. I'm not necessarily defending something just because I post more details. But, I do hold both officials of parties to the same standards and take that into consideration when I vote.
      December 24, 2023 5:25 PM MST

I would throw most of the Republicans out on the butts as well.  
    I do not make excuses for MAGA...I simply point out the lies. I happen to agree with MAGA policy  nothing to excuse.  
      December 24, 2023 8:43 PM MST

Nobody expects you to be objective about this issue with your loaded question.
      December 23, 2023 6:13 PM MST

They are blocking challengers in the primaries.  That is fine they can do that....it is their party, they get to make their rules. 
    But they do not get to tell me, how they are protecting Democracy.  They are not. They are protecting Biden. 
      December 24, 2023 11:48 AM MST

Stu’s right, this is a loaded question but I’ll answer it anyway.

Here’s the part where we’ll agree and you’ll get the answer you want: Yes, the Democratic Party is undemocratic.

I’m just a little bit to the left of center because while I believe that health care, housing and employment should be guaranteed, the Democratic Party doesn’t share my values such as democracy and freedom of speech.  They’re authoritarian and elitist.  That’s how I see them.

Here’s the part where I’m going to shred any hope the above might’ve given you, sorry, but no plans to vote for Republicans.  They suck too.  The American right doesn’t share my values either.

Me:

This post was edited by Livvie at December 24, 2023 1:01 PM MST
      December 23, 2023 7:57 PM MST

And they nominated a demagogue in Trump to boot, which alienated a big segment of the party.
      December 23, 2023 8:59 PM MST

Trump alienated the Romeny/Bush/McCain Republicans but activated those of us who were tired of being betrayed by them. And we outnumber them. 
      December 24, 2023 11:58 AM MST

And that’s why many of them supported Biden, which helped him win in 2020. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at December 24, 2023 5:27 PM MST
      December 24, 2023 12:12 PM MST

Lol.  We all know what happened in 2020.  But yes, Biden was installed. 
      December 24, 2023 3:40 PM MST

Yes, Biden won comfortably, simply by not being Trump.
    His Royal Orangeness's groundless claims of election fraud might carry a little more authority if he hadn't telegraphed it. He said before the 2016 election that he'd cry foul if he didn't win (and he lost the popular vote by a buttload). He even claimed that the 2012 election was a "sham" - so according to Trump, every election result he doesn't like is "faked".
      December 27, 2023 2:37 AM MST

You don't find it interesting that 5 states all stop counting with Trump in the lead. And then decide to start counting again and suddenly Bidens in the lead?  
    No problem with illegal drop boxes. Improper procedures at Nursing homes.  Requesting and returning ballots for other people (not spouse) etc.

I am not and people need to be punished. 

They will not be able to cheat big enough this time. 

December 27, 2023 7:02 AM MST

It's sad that the Trump campaign spent almost $6M on election audits which found no significant fraud, when they could have just asked you!  The Republicans may just have to stick to their gerrymandering and voter suppression efforts to affect results.
      December 27, 2023 9:50 AM MST