Discussion » Questions » Politics » Sen Murphy: "failed to deliver for the people we care about most, the undocumented Americans that are in this country." Explains a lot?

Sen Murphy: "failed to deliver for the people we care about most, the undocumented Americans that are in this country." Explains a lot?

Posted - February 9

Responses

What needs to be explained is who is Sen. Murphy and the context in which this quote was taken.  You can't just post stuff in a vacuum and expect us to understand what you're talking about.
      February 9, 2024 8:25 AM MST

He is talking about immigration.    And he says "we" care most about undocumented Americans.   
    Personally, the people I care most about are American Citizens....illegal aliens are not Americans.  
    Again I gave you a quote....you know how to do an internet search. 
      February 9, 2024 9:52 AM MST

I agree with you but it might help if you included your sources for posts.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at February 10, 2024 9:51 AM MST
      February 9, 2024 10:48 AM MST

Video is on Twitter.  Not able to post on this site. 

Even when I have posted links to them,  people here say they cannot view Twitter anyway. So I have quit bothering.
      February 9, 2024 6:10 PM MST

You already know where you got the information from so why is it so hard for you to include the link?
      February 9, 2024 11:14 AM MST

February 9, 2024 11:44 AM MST

The proof that every country should secure their borders. 
      February 9, 2024 6:05 PM MST

Yes, and also the book I've been reading since early December of last year even more so proves to me, being of non-Native American descent, that the non-Native Americans basically invaded this country and, relatively soon upon arrival, these invaders and the early United States government began wiping out much of the Native Americans.

I find myself unable to act righteous and honorable in this current issue of securing borders when it boils down to that we're all human and we're all people and we're all fellow citizens of the world. For me, I highly regret how the invaders murdered the people who were in this country first. And it wasn't' "us." 

Since a young student in elementary school, I always 'felt' for the Native Americans when studying about how they were here in this country first. And, in many ways, I find it disrespectful, and possibly hypocritical, to ignore how the Native Americans were, and in some ways still are, treated.

Though I also add that I find author Madley often overstates his case to the detriment of his argument. I find his original sources speak for themselves without his elaborating. But his book is enlightening with the facts.

"An American Genocide:The United States and the California Indian Catastrophe"   Benjamin Madley

Amazon.com: An American Genocide: The United States and the California  Indian Catastrophe, 1846-1873 (The Lamar Series in Western History) eBook :  Madley, Benjamin: Kindle Store This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 10, 2024 1:07 PM MST
      February 10, 2024 1:10 AM MST

That is how humans act. The Native Americans who were here at the time English people came, were not the original people here either.   Lands have been invaded and conquered since the beginning of humanity....white people did not invent it. They were simply the ones who did it successfully most recently.  

We have borders and they should be enforced. This post was edited by my2cents at February 10, 2024 11:05 AM MST
      February 10, 2024 5:34 AM MST

To which "original" people are you referring before what we call the Native Americans arrived here?
      February 10, 2024 9:48 AM MST

There are been people in N America for 30,000 yrs and not all of those people are genetically related.  Chiquihuite are gone now leaving no trace of genes in the Native Amercians of today.  But they were here first. 
      February 10, 2024 3:56 PM MST

Did the Native Americans (as we now know them) kill off or push the Chiquihuite off the land so they could take it over?
      February 11, 2024 11:54 AM MST

They do not know at this time. They described the Chiquihuite as a "failed colonization" of N America.  

But Native Americans (as we know them) make up many people and those different people fought against themselves over lands and hunting rights etc.   Just because we choose to group them as one people....they did not. They had many wars.  
      February 12, 2024 6:23 AM MST

I understand and get your points, yes. 
    So, I'll add that I refer to the specific Native Americans who got killed in the many years before the current USA was founded. But I am terribly saddened to watch humanity act this way, whenever.
    And I am a human.
    I don't act that way in which I read in many books how other humans act. 
    And I admit I'm going through a rough emotional time in past months. I may fail to make a coherent point.

And I'm only saying that with the book I'm reading to which I referred (these events happened in the mid-1800's in California, right before and when California was admitted to the USA), I find it maybe ironic that the some current USA-ers are possibly feeling similarly to those specific Native Americans. 

But I'll also say that in my entire life I am tired of watching all the reasons we humans find for killing each other. 
    And coming to a 'new' land and conquering it by killing the people already here saddens me, no matter who did it first.

In 1992, for me Rodney King nailed one of the ways  I've tried to live my life: "Can't we all just get along?"
    As a full-blown adult, I am, in many ways, the same young boy who broke down crying in my classroom when I first read about Harriet Tubman and what she and so many experienced.

(And, like you said about us humans, I acknowledge there are times when killing happens and my reply here is not meant to be a slam against those in military services.)

To all who have read my posts here, thank you for your patience as I tried to communicate during personally challenging times. :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 11, 2024 11:54 AM MST
      February 10, 2024 11:05 AM MST

I will post the interview that was too much effort for you to include. In this interview,  Murphy is specifically talking about the failed border bill and the difference between what the Republicans want and what the Democrats want. The most pressing issue for Democrats in immigration reform is a path to citizenship for immigrants. The statement refers to the Democrats (using the term 'we' to refer to himself and the other Democrat senators working on the bill) caring most about undocumented immigrants in the context of this bill. The term 'undocumented Americans' is a wrong term and I expect he simply misspoke, meaning to say 'undocumented immigrants in America'. Interesting how the media can twist words - on both sides. I know that nothing I say here will have the slightest effect on your opinions, but perhaps those others who responded asking for context will be able to make up their own minds. This is not meant to opine on what immigration reform should look like,  but rather to put the quote in co text.

February 9, 2024 1:30 PM MST